Old 510 race car project

shane_lxi

Been wanting to get back into Datsuns for a while. So when this retired local race car came up for sale, I scooped it up for next to nothing. Got the car and shitloads of parts for $500. Thinking I can make my money back and then some on the extra parts and then start tinkering around with this thing a bit. I'll post pictures of the stockpile later, but here's some nasty shots of the car in the meantime. It looks alot worse than it is in these pictures. The huge fire damage looking spot on the quarter is actually shitty orange paint with black primer dusted over the top. Floorpans are newer, driver's side rocker is new, passenger rocker and kick are gone, and the driver's side quarter is in serious need of work, possibly replacement. For some reason, the previous owner mounted that awful rivet on flare on it too, so that's doesn't help. He even cut it out already, so unless I replace it, I'm going to have to run flares (probably nicer zg style flares if it comes to that). Supposedly the engine runs, but I'm planning on it needing a rebuild anyway. Came with the hood, 3 sets of fenders, 2 sets of doors, some extra glass, an extra rear sub-frame and rear-end, 2 sets of su carbs/manifolds, 3 sets of wheels (including a nice set of staggered 13" slots) and a very old school looking personal steering wheel and old old hub/adapter. Also bins and bins of parts including most everything that is missing off the car. Going to need quarter glass. front valance and wiper linkage for sure, prolly some other smaller stuff as well. All I could get out of him about the engine is that it's a "frankenstein L-series that really screams", so I guess I'm going to have to do some research on what it is exactly. The valve cover has some weird oil squirter setup on it that I've never seen, I'll post a pic later. Anyway, that's the headache I inherited, I'll post more pics soon, and updates eventually. I'm trying to finish my motorcycle before I start this (a promise to the wife), so hopefully that'll get done really soon!

zZXVml.jpg

VuqUIl.jpg
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice project, I love race car 510's! Check out mine. If it's got a full race motor it probably needs the external oiler to keep from ruining the cam lobes, because it's probably an Isky L4 cam or something similar. Like .580 lift! Good luck an welcome to Ratsun

Also.... More pics, more pics, more pics.... Were all picture whores here. Lolz

Oh , i saw your join date and thought since you have been on here forever , ( and i didn`t really read you were getting "back" into Datsuns ) thought it might be you..And yes in Hoquiam over by the Library..

That and it was forever after my bedtime... :D

• 9 months later...

Ok. My motorcycle is mostly done. Honestly, I've been kind of contemplating selling this thing, but I can't bring myself to do it. I know once I get it semi-reassembled it's not going to take up much room, and I've been seriously thinking about selling my mx73. So my current plan is as follows... sell the Cressida, fix my pickup and daily that, and then put the rest into "finishing" this 510. Slow progress will be documented!

Ex-race cars usually make lousy street cars, lots of mounting tabs cut off, wiring destroyed, window mechanisms "lightened", wiper motor/heater blowers gone, but we look forward to watching the reverse-transformation. That big water pump pulley works great at a continuous 6000 rpm, but makes for a hot running motor in traffic.

I didn't even notice the pulley was larger, lol. I need to have someone who knows l-series motors alot better than I do take a look at this thing and tell me exactly what I have. I'm sure its atleast somewhat built, but I don't know the extent. I did notice that it does not have the correct oil pan on it. Looks like the 510 oil pan has a clearance near the bell housing for steering linkage. I have the correct bell housing, but it needs to be installed so I can hook up the steering. I am in no way expecting a comfortable or practical car to come out of this project, lol. I've got a daily and a backup, so I can just play with this.

An old racer's trick was to lengthen the steering arms to quicken the steering ratio, requiring the clearancing of other components to make room. I've had to modify my steering box to fit some long tube headers, and modify most of my steering components to fit around large capacity oil pans, moved suspension pick-up points, etc. Any idea what class this car raced in, IT, GT? Did logbooks come with it?