What you want to do with your 720?

Alec 720

I was thinking.. I'm kinda wondering that it might be a waste to spend over $500 on my Z22 when I can buy a VG30E for that much. (I know I would probably have to get the wire harness too)

I also want to get a 620 body and bed and put it on the 720 frame, then I'd modify the suspension and brakes to 4 drilled disc's.

After that I'd put 2 turbo's in it :devil:

Then some of the questions I have. Could a stock transmission that was used with a KA24E work with that much power? And also what about the rear end could that handle the power?

Then I'm curious... does the 620 body fit on the 720 frame? has anybody tried it?

So what do you guys want to do with your trucks? and also how easy it is to do all this stuff? haha!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two frame lengths. The long box and King Cab fit on the long wheelbase frame. The difference is where the box mount is but they can be cut off and welded back on in the correct place. So yes, a standard cab short wheelbase 620 will fit on a reg cab short wheelbase 720 frame. A King Cab or long bed will fit on a KC or long bed 720 frame. Or likely will because I put my '78 KC 620 onto an '82 long bed 720 frame. All I had to do was remove the front two box mounts and move them back about 9" on the frame.

Four wheel discs are ok but drilled rotors are as useless as a wing on the back. I would look for a later '83 and up 720 that has the larger calipers and vented rotors. I think a Rodeo rear caliper and disc will fit a 620 6 bolt wheel. So all you have to do is make caliper brackets. See BEEBANI.

A KA24 transmission won't fit a VG30 motor or did I read that wrong? It will fit your Z22 but you may have to shorten yout driveshaft. The FS5W71C is good for 300hp, probably more.

The 720 rear end is good for just under 300 ft pounds of torque. The problem is there are no LSDs for them.

• Like 1

One option for an lsd rear end would be from the pathfinder, disc brakes included, same lug pattern.. Would work with some cutting and welding..

But I'm not a big fan of Pathfinders, so I can't tell you which years/models came with it.

Anybody know the torque/hp rating on them..?

Ford 9" are rated at 600 ft lbs and the WD-21 Pathfinder is larger than the Ford. The axle is 60" wide? I forget but a inch a side wider than the 720. Get a D-21 Hardbody axle... they have leaf spring mounts, Pathfinder are 4 link and coils. The Pathfinder rear end and disc axles should fit the Hardbody housing. The LSD only came in 4.375 and 4.625 ratios but lower gear sets could be swapped in. The break away torque was 185 ft lbs.? or so. Avoid later 2001 Xrerra (or whatever) as soccer moms probably complained about the wheels hopping or chirping on the pavement leaving the grocery parking lots so Nissan reduced this to under 30 ft lbs... a complete joke to be called limited slip but it kept people quiet and the Pathfinders by then never went off pavement anyway.

WD-21s up to '95? had a different number of mounting bolts to the rear end housing and the axle spline count changed also so watch out for this change.

The diff ratio is stamped into the engine tag below the pass side hood hinge on the inner fender.

720stuff061Small.jpg

Bottom right HG46 is a 4.625 ratio H-233. HG43 is 4.375 H-233.

The H-233 drive shaft yoke is larger than the 720 one.

• Like 1

What I want to do with my '86 720:

I want to basically strip it by taking the bed and cab off. Undercoat it, do the body work and paint the bed and cab (don't know what color yet), replace brake ad fuel lines, do a coilover conversion all around, rebuild my z24 because of the abuse my moms been doing to it, NISMO Wheels (my dream wheels), either the king cab bucket seats or 300zx manual bucket seats, re-upholstery the interior, custom dash (similar to nis720), center console, all ST features, JL Audio sound system, rear disc brake conversion, rebuild tranny, 44mm mikunis on an HKS Intake, performance cam, A/C, new front bumper, new windshield and molding, straight rear glass and molding, polish all my chrome pieces, fuel cell, 4:375 rear end, whole new exhaust, HID headlights, alluminum radiator and that's all I can think of right now.

Thats my plans but will cost a lot but I'll dump as much as I can into this because it's been my dream to get a truck and fix it up. Only problem, I just turned 17, no job, no permit, and my parents drive it. So....... It will take awhile for my dream truck to become reality.

• Like 1

What I want to do with my '86 720:

I want to basically strip it by taking the bed and cab off. Undercoat it, do the body work and paint the bed and cab (don't know what color yet), replace brake ad fuel lines, do a coilover conversion all around, rebuild my z24 because of the abuse my moms been doing to it, NISMO Wheels (my dream wheels), either the king cab bucket seats or 300zx manual bucket seats, re-upholstery the interior, custom dash (similar to nis720), center console, all ST features, JL Audio sound system, rear disc brake conversion, rebuild tranny, 44mm mikunis on an HKS Intake, performance cam, A/C, new front bumper, new windshield and molding, straight rear glass and molding, polish all my chrome pieces, fuel cell, 4:375 rear end, whole new exhaust, HID headlights, alluminum radiator and that's all I can think of right now.

Thats my plans but will cost a lot but I'll dump as much as I can into this because it's been my dream to get a truck and fix it up. Only problem, I just turned 17, no job, no permit, and my parents drive it. So....... It will take awhile for my dream truck to become reality.

I totally know what you mean I'm 18 no job, no permit.. and spending my money on guns instead of the truck haha

Ohh well can only spend money on one thing at a time when you don't have much money.

nicce, I probably will never do a VG swap becomes I'm just too lazy to do all that. I'll stick to wanting an ka24e or sr20de swap. Keep it N/A and later go turbo.

Lol yeah I guess VG's are kinda hard to do.. curious if anybody knows... but do you have to mess with the oil pan with a VG swap? and also the engine mounts... again just if anyone knows off hand, no need to research it unless you want to know too :)

You know what would be really awesome.. a RB26DETT swap... :ninja:

In our dreams :devil:

Yeah, I have been day dreaming of buidling a GTR720, full R34 Drivetrain and interior in a 720 king cab.

It would be soooooo comfy.

Why not just get the real thing? :devil:

I would be curious though, if that would be road legal, cause I know the R34 isn't.

You know what would be really awesome.. a RB26DETT swap... :ninja:

In our dreams :devil:

Yesssss........That is a BIG dream, If i could get ahold of one for a good price i'd do it. But then I'd get like a 521 while my 720's under construction. lol

Room for 2 more cylinders in a 720? Not really. VG30, VQ30... something VK45? VEE something.

Room for 2 more cylinders in a 720? Not really. VG30, VQ30... something VK45? VEE something.

IMG_1942.jpg

After seeing so many 240"ute"s It seems people just block off right behind the front seats but the cab of King cab has that little extra room. So clean out behind the front seats, mount seats further back and everything would in someway follow suit. dash is gonna stick out more/ be too wide what have you.but you have that room to work with.

As to why not get a real GTR, honestly have you looked into it? I can get every individual part for an R34 but to just get one to your door and use for Daily status ain't gonna happen so easy. My friend was helping some guy here locally on his Skylines, so its not like its impossible.

The Drivetrain is beast. Fanaggle it into a 720 frame and set the rest on top...go to Lowes and haul lumber with acceleration.