720 4x4 rear leaf springs Just like everyone else - need them....

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never noticed it to be more. Bouncey it made the ride a lot better in my opinion, I am also running 3 inch blocks. I wouldn't advise running the 4x4 leafs and 3 inch blocks because it puts the rear end about an inch from the frame. If you do decide to run it you will have to c-notch or full notch it

Thats What I Meant Haha

720 4X4 Springs Are Softer Than 620 Springs

So The Truck Will Be Lower But You Will Bounce More

And That Makes Your Situation Worse

The hell they are!!! :o :lol: The '84 4x4 spring constant in pounds per inch is 442. The 2wd 720 is 310.

The spring constant for the 620 (2wd) is 308. (pretty much the same as the 2wd 720)

You will bounce more???? A softer spring will travel up and down further than a stiffer one through the same pot hole or speed bump. The energy is absorbed and released over a longer distance and feels 'softer'. A stiffer spring will flex less and transmit more movement to the chassis. The ride is firmer and more exactly follows the contour of the road.

The problem with a lower ride height is you are closer to the pavement. If you keep the same spring rate you will still have the same suspension travel and could bottom out. A higher spring rate will limit the travel so that even though you are closer to the bumps there is less chance of bottoming out. It's the price you must pay for a lower ride.... or rip your muffler off. You pick.

It should be noted that the tire is part of the equation. With really stiff or high spring rates the tire flexes and acts like an air bag.

The hell they are!!! :o :lol: The '84 4x4 spring constant in pounds per inch is 442. The 2wd 720 is 310.

The spring constant for the 620 (2wd) is 308. (pretty much the same as the 2wd 720)

You will bounce more???? A softer spring will travel up and down further than a stiffer one through the same pot hole or speed bump. The energy is absorbed and released over a longer distance and feels 'softer'. A stiffer spring will flex less and transmit more movement to the chassis. The ride is firmer and more exactly follows the contour of the road.

The problem with a lower ride height is you are closer to the pavement. If you keep the same spring rate you will still have the same suspension travel and could bottom out. A higher spring rate will limit the travel so that even though you are closer to the bumps there is less chance of bottoming out. It's the price you must pay for a lower ride.... or rip your muffler off. You pick.

It should be noted that the tire is part of the equation. With really stiff or high spring rates the tire flexes and acts like an air bag.

Well that was exactly my thought - stiffer spring less travel because it has higher resistence to flexing. Does not help that i'm missing leafs. I think i only have 2 or 3 on each side. The KYB shocks helped a bit but not to the extent i expected. And im absolutely fine with a stiff ride, matter of fact i would love to put in some coilovers but i don't have the fabrication skills required.

The other thing is, my exhaust will be the first to go if i bottom out, i realized last night the shop welded it too damn low.

"About This Part: Belltechs leaf springs are designed to lower the rear of your truck and retain your smooth factory ride. All Belltech leaf springs come complete with OEM quality rubber bushings."

To retain the 'smooth factory ride', the spring rate has to remain the same. As I said, a lowered ride height on the same spring rate is a disaster waiting to happen.

So If You're Missing Springs

And Swap In 720 4X4 Springs

I Would Think Your Ride Will Be ABIT Stiffer If Not The Same

BUT The Truck Will Be Lower

Yeah lower is not really a big deal. My rear is about 1.5" higher than the front. Worst case scenario i could go with smaller blocks in the back or lower the front a bit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.