Datsun 320 clutch issues

Okay so I am having an issue selecting 3rd and 4th in my 320. It has the original E1 engine and 4 speed column shift. It selects reverse, 1st and 2nd with no worries. When I go for 3rd or 4th it grinds like there isn't enough pressure on the clutch. The box is now out of the car and having no problems selecting all gears. It doesn't have a clutch release bearing but a carbon bush instead, does anyone know what is a low point on these bushes. Am I able to swap this for a later model clutch fork with a bearing from a 521 J15 set up which has a 4 speed column shift?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot imagine that it would be a clutch issue if first and second have no issues, it would likely be a transmission issue.

You say it has no issues when not spinning(out of truck), that doesn't surprise me either, did you have issues shifting when the engine was not running just sitting in your driveway?

I took a tranny out because of bad 1st and 2nd gear synchros, but you could never tell they were bad when out of the truck, or when the engine was not running, only when driving it could you tell they were bad.

Yes, yes, and yes. You'll need everything that's bolted to the back of the J15. But you'll also need a custom transmission mount (they are nothing alike) and the driveshaft will need to be modified as the transmission output splines are completely different. Since you'd have to do all that, I'd suggest basically taking the ENTIRE drivetrain- engine, transmission, driveshaft, and optionally the rear axle, and putting that in the 320. The J15 might be a bit easier to get parts for anyhow.

Though even that won't avoid needing that custom transmission mount.

Yes, yes, and yes. You'll need everything that's bolted to the back of the J15. But you'll also need a custom transmission mount (they are nothing alike) and the driveshaft will need to be modified as the transmission output splines are completely different. Since you'd have to do all that, I'd suggest basically taking the ENTIRE drivetrain- engine, transmission, driveshaft, and optionally the rear axle, and putting that in the 320. The J15 might be a bit easier to get parts for anyhow.

Though even that won't avoid needing that custom transmission mount.

I agree with datsunaholic here, I would just put the J15 in your 320, put better gearing in the rear, and haul ass.

I agree with datsunaholic here, I would just put the J15 in your 320, put better gearing in the rear, and haul ass.

I am selling the 320 and am trying to get the issue sorted with as little work as possible. Changing the engine is out as the car is 100% original down to it still being + ground which is how I would like it to stay. I have someone interested in the car but only if it is 100%. Getting this issue sorted will hopefully finalise the sale and then I can finish the 521, yay.

Well, then you're going to need to find another 320 column-shift 4-speed or have the current one rebuilt, because the J-15 4-speed isn't original and will not bolt in as original. As mentioned, it would take at least 2 custom parts (the transmission mount would basically have to be fabricated from scratch, and the driveshaft would have to be modified) and also using the J15's adapter plate (the 2 transmissions have very different bolt patterns), the J15 flywheel, the J15 Starter (pray that works Positive ground), the J15 clutch and pressure plate (transmission input splines are different). They are significantly different transmissions, the only similarity being the type of engine they are bolted to and the fact that they are both column-shift 4-speeds.