L20b A/C Compressor?

sackcheck

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are different versions, but that mostly had to do with the original add-on dealer setup and the later factory setup. The 620 factory ones were all on the passenger side above the alternator. The CAR ones on an L20B were on the driver's side UNDER the air pump. It's possible the compressors were the same, though (they had mounting holes on both sides of the compressor body). I believe the 1980 720 had it on the passenger side as well.

The L24 ones probably had different mounts and offsets- the L24 used bigger belts I think. The block mounts might be significantly different between the 4 and 6 cyls, but I don't know for sure. I didn't know any L24s HAD smog pumps, the 240Z didn't have them and the L24E used in the 810/Maxima were EFI... I don't know if they had smog pumps (my '77 280Z didn't). The compressor itself is the same but the pulley might be different. I have one of each compressor (280Z and truck) as well as one off a '81 510 (Z20) and the pumps LOOK the same at a glance.

I looked up a a/c compressor for the 720 on kragen.com and at the bottom of the page it showed a link that said "see all vehicles this product fits" after clicking the link a window pops up showing the other vehicles which included the 1979 620, and the Stanza 1982-85.

There are two different kinds of compressors for the 720 a single and a double pulley compressor. At a glance it looks like a single but a closer look reveals that it also powers the pump with a second belt. Would this make it a dual pulley? :confused:

I'm just trying to avoid paying $300+ for a new one. I'm sure many can understand.:)

The double-pulley one was because it used the A/C compressor pulley as an idler pulley for the power steering pump. But power steering was an option on 720s, so some wouldn't have the double groove.

Jester:

The A/C compressor on a 620 is supposed to mount where the FUEL pump is (above the alternator). Early 620s with dealer add-on box compressors mounted on the driver's side, but they couldn't do that in 75-79 because the air pump was there and there wasn't any more room (the steering box only allowed one accesory there). Cars (710, 810, late 510, 200SX, etc) didn't have that problem because the steering box was behind the motor mount.

The L24 bracket probably won't bolt to and L20B, simply because the holes in the block might not line up. But they might- I don't know. I think the holes might be different sizes and location. And even if they do line up the steering box still might be in the way. You can't use the air pump bracket because it's completely different.