B210 Rock Crawler

JAS

Took my B210 way out in to mountains to pick up some gold ore before the storms closed up the roads.... i guess it was too late. Started down the one mile canyon road and encountered snow and deep mud, and no place to turnaround. The road is a real steep switchback cut straight into the side of a rock cliff, got to the bottom fine, so figured to gather up the 500 lbs of gold ore i wanted to keep me busy through the winter... took me an hour to get out of that canyon and wasted my shocks, they ripped right out of the lower mounts... then again, was grinding through six inch rocks and scrabble under the snow and mud... i do know one thing, no two wheel drive truck could have gotten out of there. should have taken pictures, but was going for broke up that road, took three tries to get up, and rock cliffs on both sides, up and down..... got out of there, but my poor car... drove it 75 miles bacdk home with no shocks in the rear doing 85 mph with my rock in the back to keep her steady.

I still believe that B210's and 210's are the best mountain rig you can get, thats all i used in AZ in the 80's when i had my gold mine down there open. My other rig was a 65 IH 4X4 locker 3/4 ton flatbed. My datsun never stuck me more than 15 minutes, and never broke down.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing up my Dad had a 1200 sedan (which I later got @ ~550K miles) that was used not only as a the DD for going to work but also as a tractor up in the hills. That thing would go places or over things it had no right to be able to do, and he had a come-along in the trunk for the rare times he did get stuck. On multiple occasions I can remember: using the car to pull out stumps, climb insane hills, push a water tanker tank up a hill, mud bogging, and hauling more than one larger travel or trash trailer. Probably some other crazy ass redneck stuff I've forgotten too. All with a A12 and a 4 speed.

I was going for broke in it... was not going to be stuck 75 miles off the blacktop in a deep canyon, Funny, the washers that hold the shocks gave way, the bolts and mounts are fine. Rear end slid into the ruts and had to grind my way to the top, rear end tossing huge rocks out of the rut the whole way... should have made a video... no one would believe how rotten the hill was, steep rock cliffs straight down into the creek a few hundred feet down. My job was to get out with no pan damage... too nice of a B to do this too, but was fun as hell... glad i have the high output engine and 5 speed.

Growing up my Dad had a 1200 sedan (which I later got @ ~550K miles) that was used not only as a the DD for going to work but also as a tractor up in the hills. That thing would go places or over things it had no right to be able to do, and he had a come-along in the trunk for the rare times he did get stuck. On multiple occasions I can remember: using the car to pull out stumps, climb insane hills, push a water tanker tank up a hill, mud bogging, and hauling more than one larger travel or trash trailer. Probably some other crazy ass redneck stuff I've forgotten too. All with a A12 and a 4 speed.

Yah Maaaaaan, that's the way Cheech & Chong remember there old Datsun too.