what timing, plug gap?

zed

Goodday

I was wondering what timing you guys are running, and what spark plug gaps? My owners manual gives 8 ~2 degrees BTDC - but I read in the DATSUN OHC book (Honsowetz) they use 20 to 30 degrees...

Also what plugs / gaps? I have NGK BP5EY - gaps around 1.1mm / .043

I have a mechanical distributor with Pertronix points

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodday

I was wondering what timing you guys are running, and what spark plug gaps? My owners manual gives 8 ~2 degrees BTDC - but I read in the DATSUN OHC book (Honsowetz) they use 20 to 30 degrees...

Also what plugs / gaps? I have NGK BP5EY - gaps around 1.1mm / .043

I have a mechanical distributor with Pertronix points

Thats probably total mechanical advance at 2-3,000 RPMs.. Initial advance is around 12 at idle. And this is average. Altitude, carb setting, compression, brand of plug and gas even in the same octane range can all affect where your engine runs best. Adjust up and try driving, keep going up a degree at a time until here is pinging under load and back in down till it stops. Could be 13 or 14 or even 11 degrees!

When my car was a drag car I used a choke cable and always had the dizzy loose so I could pull for the more power while dragging and keep it pushed in when not. It worked great but then took it off when it was a street motor.