Project 280zx converible

zracer!!!!

Then you probably need to do a ton of reading and research so you know what your getting into, HybridZ.org is my favorite forum for research the L-6 engines are pretty well covered all you would to do is search and read there is a ton of info basically lade out part for part. We all had to do it.

there is a surpassing amount of difference between carburated engines and fuel injected! it sure is a lot simpler to build hp with a carbed engine for sure

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read this man.

http://www.xenons130.com/l28et.html

Find a C camshaft it's considered a "hot" cam for the L28ET's. Make sure your head is a solid lifter or you will not be able to change the camshaft if you have a hydraulic lifters. P90A heads had hydraulic lifters but there are also P90A with solid lifters so make sure to take the valve cover off and look.

Here's another good link gives your a ton of info.

http://pape.ws/allan_and_rosanne/Z-Car_Stuff/Bryan-Little/Datsun%20L6%20Performance%20Tips.htm

It's actually the "A" grind from the NA that's considered the hot turbo grind.

there is a surpassing amount of difference between carburated engines and fuel injected! it sure is a lot simpler to build hp with a carbed engine for sure

It's way easier to make power with a turbo L28 than a carbed one. You have infinately more control with a programable ECU than you do with a carb.

Personally I think running an after market ECU like Mega Squirt (which you can do for around $800 including a wide band O2 sensor and gauge) is the first thing you should do if you want to build up and make power because it will affect every mod you do to the car. Of course an intercooler, BOV/Recirc valve, madrel bent downpipe and larger exhaust are big improvements. What the artlicle listed above doesn't mention even though it says to add a larger throttle body is the intake runner which are 53% the size of the intake valves - this is a major choke point for the L28ET but most people just gloss over it. Another item that makes a BIG difference to the L28ET is water/methanol injection. A friend of mine added 18 degrees advance back into his setup just by adding a meth injection system!

It's way easier to make power with a turbo L28 than a carbed one. You have infinately more control with a programable ECU than you do with a carb.

Personally I think running an after market ECU like Mega Squirt (which you can do for around $800 including a wide band O2 sensor and gauge) is the first thing you should do if you want to build up and make power because it will affect every mod you do to the car. Of course an intercooler, BOV/Recirc valve, madrel bent downpipe and larger exhaust are big improvements. What the artlicle listed above doesn't mention even though it says to add a larger throttle body is the intake runner which are 53% the size of the intake valves - this is a major choke point for the L28ET but most people just gloss over it. Another item that makes a BIG difference to the L28ET is water/methanol injection. A friend of mine added 18 degrees advance back into his setup just by adding a meth injection system!

when i said carbed engines i was talking about N/A american v8's being simple. i have built 7 so far i think give or take but i feel like the less electronics the easier. i have nothing against efi engines im actually really exited to learn more about them and to be building one. ill save up for a mega squirt and do a whole lot of reading up in the mean time! :)

I would stick to what you have, you have to think about what yours goals are for your engine the L28ET is really simple to make fast without much modification.

a healthy 300hp wouldn't be bad. although the convertible makes the back end so light with my 200 whp it already spins a tire in 5th gear at 40 mph :poop:

i need an lsd :w00t:

so i looked through the forums for fuel injection upgrades and couldn't find one. if somebody knows of one and could point me there that would be great! i don't have a lot of money so if there are fuel injectors that are better than the stock ones on this car and i could just pull them off a car at the yard that would be pretty cool. thanks

:sleep:...... i did that a couldn't find what cars i could pull an injector off to put on my car

facepalm.jpg

fuckin really man....

the very first link is a HBZ a write up to eeeeeeverything injector related including lists of every injector swap...

Anything with a Bosch style connector will work. Rx7 injectors are a huge upgrade, probably a bit overkill. Hop on Hybridz and do some reading, there's a lot of good info there if you take the time to read.

well i plan to keep upgrading the engine hopefully one day be at 300ish hp. so the rx7 injectors would be a direct replacement?

• 10 months later...

Sorry to revive this old thread but I just tripped over it.

I sold this car to ZRacer after I pulled it out of storage. Another shop called Custom Imports in Tumwater Wa butchered it.

I was going to redo the car but lost interest.

It was fun to drive but I didn't want anybody to see me doing it. lol

I especially didn't want anybody to think my company did the work on it!!!