Ok she is all buttoned up but runs like dookie!

mantas

Ok i got all kinds of problems sorted out and drove her to the shop. Kept spitting out of the carb. Long story short it seems to be running on 3 cylinders. #3 the plug is white and the rest of them are filthy black. But the kicker here.....when i unplug #4 wire it makes no difference in the running condition, if i unplug any other wire it changes the tune and sounds like a tractor. Anyone have ideas on whats going on? Btw got new wires and dizzy cap ans rotor.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a 73' 620 but the engine i got from a 521 which is supposedly an l18. The head says w53 on there so i'm guessing the seller was right about - its an l18 with an l16 head...lol shows you how little i know about these engines.

So is this correct? I hope the picture is easy enough to read, let me know if i should post more.

8177297562_e736a47612_c.jpg

photo by onedolla99cents, on Flickr

Well i tried 1342 and didn't start. Went back to 1234 and it stars back up. I looked at the firing order for the earlier l16/l18 engines on google and it seems that my order was correct? How will wire lenghts affect the firing order? I mixed it all up but she stars again with the old set up.

I tried what mike suggested, no bueno. I'll try 1243 when i get back from getting a beer HAHA. Long day and no progress, at least i figured out what was causing my fuse to go out, turns out someone left a wire against the dash for it to ground out. Now i have tail lights! YAY!

Well none of the combos suggested worked. So i went back to what i had 1234 clockwise and she runs, and runs better with the new plugs. Now when i changed out the plugs it seems like all of them were filthy so may be something is fucked up with the wires? Do wire lenghts matter? I mean i went off my best judgement and plugged in the furthest wire to the furthest plug and so on....

But really, you have the wires wrong. 1234 is not the proper firing order, and impossible for the cam and crank to allow that for all the cylinders to fire correctly.

1342 is correct(and always will be on datsun L series 4 cylinders), that is if you put your 1 in the correct spot. Wire length means nothing.

FYI, we are talking at the cap, not at the plugs.

And black plugs? matte black, or glossy black?

Oh and it is 1342 actually. On the distributor i was reading clockwise - idiot! I dont know how to read backwards haahah. Anyways cylinder one is closest to the firewall or to front of car? I cant wrap that one around my head from the shitty charts ive seen.

Really depends. Best to put the motor to TDC (with being able to see the cam lobes at 10 and 2 through the oil cap hole), and whereever the rotor points should be where plug number 1 is.

Now we are talking, ok i'll give that a go tomorrow. The thing that sucks, i just put the valve cover back on....

Well i went around to confirm the casting numbers basically the block is L18 and the head is W53, so does that mean the idiot i bought this from slapped an EFI head on there? And i have a 32/36 DGAV Webber on there. Going to get a wideband sensor for this thing because I have never tuned a carb by ear. Good idea?