tranny wireing questions....

all my tranny wires are unplugged but one and dragging the ground....what all plugs in and what does it do? just trying to delete more unnecessary wires, and get it all tucked back in its home. i will post pics tomorrow if need be. thanks in advance :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The switch on the pass side, about half way up from the bottom and about 4" behind the clutch fork and boot is the reverse light switch.... and it's necessary ... for at night.

If you are a manual trans/California there is a Neutral switch for emissions ... but even if you were there's nothing left of the smog equipment anyway.

The '79 also had a top gear switch for the vacuum cut solenoid... you have a Weber? ... so forget that!

I guess all you need to hook up is the reverse lights..... for at night.

The switch on the pass side, about half way up from the bottom and about 4" behind the clutch fork and boot is the reverse light switch.... and it's necessary ... for at night.

If you are a manual trans/California there is a Neutral switch for emissions ... but even if you were there's nothing left of the smog equipment anyway.

The '79 also had a top gear switch for the vacuum cut solenoid... you have a Weber? ... so forget that!

Off the top of your head. Do you remember which color wires go connected to the reverse light switch(pl521)? I have the same problem.

I didn't reconnect my wires after the 5 speed swap. My wires were too short.

Off the top of your head. Do you remember which color wires go connected to the reverse light switch(pl521)? I have the same problem.

I didn't reconnect my wires after the 5 speed swap. My wires were too short.

On the 521, the wire harness is Red/Black (stripe). Probably both wires, either way it wouldn't matter for a switch. The 620s were both Red/Black.

my 521 has 3 switches

reverse (red/black, red/black)

neutral safety (blue/yellow, blue)

3rd gear switch for the dual points system (blue/green, blue)

you may also want the neutral safety to work. neither on my 2 521's work. no biggie

sticking your ohm meter on the switches and moving the shifter in and out of neutral,reverse,3rd gear will tell you which switch is which.

ok, here is what i have.....

2 white wires with blue stripes plugged in to the tranny somewhere

1 black with yellow stripe plugged into the starter, i know i need it, just putting it down cause it's on the same harness

2 red with black stripe not plugged in that have plugs and black wire plugged into them (looks like they were ripped off whatever they were plugged into)

1 blue wire thats unplugged and splits into 2

1 yellow with black stripe, it is unplugged, but it is also short like it should go to the starter

1 black wire that is unplugged and splits into 2

2 White/Blue..... neutral switch for emissions.

2 Black/Red...... Back up lights.

1 Black/Yellow.. starter

Double Blue and double Black are for plugging into the 4th gear switch OR over drive if you have the 5spd. option.

LOL. The Yellow/Black probably goes to the oil pressure sender above the starter.

2 White/Blue..... neutral switch for emissions. NOT NEEDED

2 Black/Red...... Back up lights.

1 Black/Yellow.. starter

Double Blue and double Black are for plugging into the 4th gear switch OR over drive if you have the 5spd. option. EMISSIONS, NOT NEEDED

LOL. The Yellow/Black probably goes to the oil pressure sender above the starter. IF YOU HAVE AFTER MARKET GAUGE, NOT NEEDED

This should work.

Thats why the Black and Blue wires are double ended... one if you have the 4spd and one for the 5spd. It's to let the emissions system know you are in high gear.

Eiither wire on either terminal, won't matter for the reverse switch..

where does the reverse light wire plug in? they were all unplugged when i started :( is it best to just put it in reverse, plug them in, then look at the light? i dont have a test light :( i mean i have a homemade one, but it wont work for this....

First sentence.

Richard, just for you:

http://www.the620.com/data/521_Wire_Diagram.pdf

• 3 weeks later...