Interchangeable Diffrentials; 3rd members

Hello all.

Can anyone tell me what rear end third members are interchangeable with my 1985 Nissan 720 Rear end? I have used 521s & 620s but I am looking to see if like an Xterra or Path Finder 3rd member is compatible. Thank you for the replies.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have an H190a rear. That is you do if you don't have a 4X4, in which case you would have a C-200.

The 2wd D21 Hardbody is a match, but the V6 2wd and 4X4 are H233B rear ends. The Z24 4X4 has a C-200.

You might want to look into swapping the whole axle assy and go with the H233B. If so, look for a V6 4X4 D21 Hardbody with the Sports Package option. They came with clutch LSDs and 4.375 if manual and 4.625 if automatic. The Pathfinder with Sports Package had rear disc brakes as well BUT coil springs so you would have to weld spring mounts onto the axle.

Hello all.

Can anyone tell me what rear end third members are interchangeable with my 1985 Nissan 720 Rear end? I have used 521s & 620s but I am looking to see if like an Xterra or Path Finder 3rd member is compatible. Thank you for the replies.

Just a question but why do you want to change out the third member?

Thank you for the very thorough explanation Datzenmike! Hacked521, Change 3rd member for lower / higher gearing. Now thinking about LSD.

I've had several 720s. I had a 521. I swapped 3rd members plenty of times. I used a 720 rear on my 521. Cruises on the freeway with that 4 speed.

I never used any 3rd member outside Datsuns.

The last 521 3rd member I have is welded for full time posi. That one has been my faithful diff. It's had a NOS'd, Nap Z, & KA24, and even a twin turbo Mazda 13B FD3s in front of it. It never broke.

It however burns tires when driving on the street. I want a LSD now.

Some Datsun 3rd members have an aluminum housing. I blew up several of those.

Peace!