New 720 in the mix.........

cubetop

Just picked up a 84 720KC and thought I should join up so I could start my learning process! I basically saved the little guy and even though I've only had it 2 days, I'm already enjoying working on it. It's so......SIMPLE! Parts look to be a bit of a pain to find and it needs some love here and there but I enjoy a good project.

My daily driver is a 2003 Kawasaki Mean Streak. The 720 was essentially for rain / snow. It's a fun little truck though so I'll probably drive it more than that.

My plan is to completely strip the interior eventually and possibly an engine swap later on. For now, I'll rock it just like it is in all of its RATTLE CAN FLAT BLACK GLORY! XD

2012-10-24180245.jpg

2012-10-24180302.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun B)

It looks like it has 85/86 bed/taillights on it.

Have fun with it.

I'm thinking that is not the original bed perhaps. The bed is in pretty sad shape so I've been looking for a better one. Saw a 720 in a junkyard but it's bed was worse than mine. :(

It runs pretty good though. Idles a bit high but starts right up and runs fine otherwise. No smoke. No leaks. It's going to be a fun project!

I wish I had that kind of bed. I like the ones with the external tie downs on the outside like that. I was thinking last night I may try to fabricate a wood bed for the truck if I can't find a suitable replacement for mine. That would be WELL after the interior and engine stuff though. My mechanic was over last night having dinner and we were discussing cam options, etc. Trying to decide if we want to go the swap route or keep as a little n/a terror. I think it sounds fun either way personally.

Guess I'm doomed. 3 days with the truck and I'm already planning the mods and power. XD

It STARTS! I decided that I want to completely go through the truck. I'm going to custom do the interior, etc. I plan on doing most of the work myself so it son't be show quality but I think I can do a good enough job to impress people and make me happy. I did find some cancer in the front floor pan on the driver's side but my mechanic said we can fix it. I plan on getting some doors I found at a junkyard to replace mine.

I really could use some other interior pieces. Wish someone made them. All I've found is a guy on eBay that specializes in Nissan/Datsun. He has a large selection but his prices are a bit high for me. (I did buy some popout window latches from him and he did lower the price a little. I just wish I had more money for the project.)

Mechanic plans on removing the engine and going with a KA-t with Megasquirt. He wants to push 4-500hp but I'm not sure I want to go that strong. Maybe just ultra fun.

Anyway, I thought I would dump some pics here because I didn't think I should start a new thread. If anyone has any tips or words of encouragment, I'd gladly welcome them. As for now, everything is pretty straighfoward. Even removing the dash was pretty simple. My poor instrument cluster is pooped though. Clock works...sorta. Tach works fine. Speedometer works fine. Fuel and Temp are both DEAD. Fuel gauge has Voltage but nothing on Temp. That should be fun to find.

If anyone has some spare parts that they would like to sell or hints on better places to find parts, please let me know.

2012-11-03155852.jpg

Base coat on the interior pieces. I have an idea on how I want it to look. The WHOLE interior is getting changed. DUPLICOLOR TO THE RESCUE!

2012-11-03162832.jpg

The dash was a GNARLY HUNK OF CRAP! I am scraping it down and may take it to get "Hydroimaged" or may continue with my mad science project color.

2012-11-03162850.jpg

Oh oh, it's all gotta GO!

2012-11-03162858.jpg

Getting there. That speedo cable is a PITA! I know getting back in is going to be worse.

2012-11-03162905.jpg

Parts drying in the sun. Everything got removed to get cleaned.

2012-11-04091759.jpg

Holy hell! 30 years of abusive owners.

2012-11-04091805.jpg

Coming along. Going to have the mechanic media blast the CRAP out of the inside. After it gets all cleaned out, going to reprime and lay down some dynamat and new carpet.

2012-11-03192443.jpg

LAZER DOG COMMANDS YOU TO GIVE ME YOUR EXCESS PARTS! Ok, that's my color idea. Red with a light black overspray. It looks better in person....honestly. I think it's sort of a cool idea and original(ish).

That's it for today. More to come later as it's a work in progress!

• Like 1

There is a resistor on the driverside near the firewall in back of the window washer container, it has a yellow with red line wire, and a white with blue line wire, make sure these are plugged in, or unplug them and plug them back in, just make sure they are making a good connection, if that don't fix it, find a 720 in a wrecking yard and grab it from that truck and put it in yours, it is a weird looking resistor, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

Hey Cube, We usually have a good assorment of parts at our disposal out here in So. Cal. , What parts do you need?

Oh man! I'll get a list and get back to you! XD

Welcome to Ratsun, if you make it to Danville, drop in! I may have a few items...

Appreciate that! Never know. I do love me some road trips!

There is a resistor on the driverside near the firewall in back of the window washer container, it has a yellow with red line wire, and a white with blue line wire, make sure these are plugged in, or unplug them and plug them back in, just make sure they are making a good connection, if that don't fix it, find a 720 in a wrecking yard and grab it from that truck and put it in yours, it is a weird looking resistor, but it is what it is.

Thanks for that tip. Unfortunately, didn't do the trick for me. The resistor is good. Measured at 2.2K. The PO had monkeyed with the wiring and cut some of the harness when attempting to put in the Sony stereo. (I should have taken pics of the poor truck before I ripped everything out.) I have a dim headlight with no brights on the driver's side too. I'm going to have to wring out that harness I'm sure. Ah well. That's part of the reason I completely removed the dash anyway. (That and the fact it was NASTY!)

WORK IN PROGRESS!!!!

clean the switch contacts in the steering column as well!

Will be doing that. May get a new switch. It's so sun faded, all the markings are gone. This poor truck was really junked up. It's going to be a fun project. Drove it to work today just because. All that's in it is the drivers seat and the gauges.

If someone could look at the interior picks I posted..... The shifter is short for a truck. Is it maybe a shifter from a 260 or something? Maybe the tranny was swapped. Works good, is just sorta short.

Hrm. Just ran the VIN and apparently my truck is a 1983 built in Kyushu. Pulls up as a Datsun. So much to learn about these truck. Getting some funny looks lately. Probably because I have no dash, no carpet, no interior except the driver's seat. XD It's raining.....have to drive it!

Where did you get this AWESOME idea?

I can't take credit for it. I saw it either here or on 720World. (I honestly don't remember.) The pad was so messed up that I really couldn't see trying to fill it and re-cover it. Since I was going to paint/dye the interior anyway AND there are some electrical shenanigans under the dash, I figured I'd redo the whole thing.

I'm HOPING to get the rest of the muck off the dash today and re-spray it.

Yesterday was a GREAT day at the junkyard. There was an 85 720 with some good interior pieces so I loaded up! Got all the fan/AC controls and bezel, passenger under dahs storage rack/shelf, beautiful jumpseat pads/covers, rear interior panel, flasher relays and a Cruise Control switch.

I don't have cruise, nor do I need it but was thinking maybe someone here might need it! (If anyone needs a cruise switch, I HAVE ONE!)

I have some stupid/crazy ideas for the interior that I'm doing. Have to get the electricals sorted out first AND need to get some body cancer addressed in the cab but it will come together. It's my project and I think it's going to be a HOOT!

I can't take credit for it. I saw it either here or on 720World. (I honestly don't remember.) The pad was so messed up that I really couldn't see trying to fill it and re-cover it. Since I was going to paint/dye the interior anyway AND there are some electrical shenanigans under the dash, I figured I'd redo the whole thing.

I did say that a little tongue in cheek. I hadn't seen anybody do it before me, but I'm not sure if I should take credit or not. You are probably the 3rd or 4th I've seen do it here recently. I have a big long Newish 720 Owner Here thread where I posted some pictures, but I'll save you the search. Here is what I did.

Scraped.

IMAG0697.jpg

IMAG0698.jpg

IMAG0696.jpg

Bondo'd and painted.

IMAG0723.jpg

IMAG0735.jpg

IMAG0761.jpg

I didn't like that tab so I cut it off.

IMAG0729.jpg

IMAG0730.jpg

... And then I went and put a whole new interior in it.

IMAG0150.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Not much new on my 720. Fuel pump is cutting out after 5-10 minutes. (Well, I think it's the fuel pump. Could be a clogged fuel filter.) Trying to get her in good running condition again. Will probably replace the stock fuel pump with an inline and new filter since the stock replacement is almost $200. o_O

Got the headlights fixed and wanted to thank everyone for the suggestion that it was the switch contacts. Well, it was. When you turn the "stalk" the contacts aren't engaging very well. I'm going to pull the whole assembly and clean the CRAP out of it. I have contact brushes, etc from my time working on pinball machines so I SHOULD be able to refurb it pretty easy once I take it off. Does anyone know if you can pull the spring contacts without pulling the whole assembly? I didn't get a close look at it this morning. Pressing the contacts though, get lights just fine and the high beams work as they should.

Still learning my little truck. My only regret is it isn't a 4x4. (I don't know why I want a 4x4, I've just always wanted one.)