WTB: JATCO Automatic Transmission (70+)

A friend is looking for an automatic transmission to get his 510 back on the road. He doesnt have the funds for a manual conversion yet, but still needs to get the car driving. Hes not a forum guy so I said I would make a thread and see what was available. Looking for the JATCO trans out of the 1970+ cars... needs to be in good working condition and preferably around the Seattle area, but willing to travel if the deal is right.

I know someone did a manual swap and has one sitting in the garage. Help get a Datsun back on the road. Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you want to shorten the driveshaft only the 510 sedan and goon and '73 620 that came with the L16 motor had the shorty 26" JATCO. All the others were 31.5" so if he gets a long one and shortens the driveshaft it will be ready for a zx 5 speed.

Draynor is getting ready to manual swap his wagon. But his Jatco is column shift... and I think he already promised it to Jrock for some powder.

This may be an earlier BorgWarner 35 if column shift. The column shift JATCO 3N71B was only made for 3 months in '71. All floor shifts were 3N71B.

Draynor is getting ready to manual swap his wagon. But his Jatco is column shift... and I think he already promised it to Jrock for some powder.

This may be an earlier BorgWarner 35 if column shift. The column shift JATCO 3N71B was only made for 3 months in '71. All floor shifts were 3N71B.

His is the later JATCO actually... and its going to be my transmission and column shift assembly; its a 3way deal. I would just rather not give up the trans if we can find another one in the area, but will if theres no other choice. Id rather see a Datsun back on the road than the trans sitting in my garage.

I love this shit!

Yep. Im going to use it for my L20 install instead of custom making parts to use the BW. But I still need an engine to use so It might be a bit before I can utilize the trans. Im just getting it for the future as well as saving the column shift since its so rare. I dont want it scrapped. Those are my plans for it, but if he needs one to get his car (actually his brothers) back on the road I will pass it along to help him out.

Mike, the tag on Draynors car is 4/71. Versus say my wagon which was a column B/W and is a 12/70, but mine was obvious.

Excellent! The 3N71B was introduced April '71 and the floor shift in June of that year. The interesting thing is the linkage on the BW 35 is on the drivers side and the 3N71B on the pass side. So this linkage somehow goes over to the pass side on the 3N71B. The later floor shift simply has a rod going forward and down on the right to the 3N71B.

I've got long tail auto, was in my 78 wagon, $50

PMd.

I have a Auto that I got from Carlos....You can have it. He would know the working condition, it came out of his goon I think.

I'm in Portland though.....I can post a pic, his car is a 72?

PMd. Yes its a 72. Travelling is not an issue for him.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Geez I have three long tail autos. One (truck) was rebuilt 500 miles ago but never driven, a '78 620 I drove it home and shifted just fine and a '77 710 I drove home about 100 miles... again ran and shifted just fine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.