260z wont go at freeway speeds :/

slowbro

did the 260z have a rev limiter or a governor?.i been driving my z on the streets lately because, when i get it to 60-75 mph it falls on its face, and seems to sputter and just generally not go. then when it recovers, it continues to do this a slower speeds. i though it might be bad points, but it looks like a non points distributor. maybe a stuck governor?

i dunno any suggestions? or recommendations on what might be the problem?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel starvation?, check fuel filter first

I second this. Funny we had a nyzcc meet and run to the ctzcc meet sat and a member had the same issue. Car would fall on its face in the higher load or rpm areas and recover once the condition changed. Swapped the filter and no prob.

As Hainz would say "cut open and do a CSI". Actually a good idea. Cut the old one open.... If full of rust it will be telling you the tank/lines may need flushing. If dirt, maybe the filler hose is split and letting wheel dirt and water splash in.

so today i cleaned the carbs, new fuel filter, new coil, and it still wont go :/ its hard to explain but it gets to freeway speeds it feels like it does when i hit the governor in my other car. but it sputters more and when i let it sit for a couple mins it drives great for a few minutes.

on sat im droping the tank so i can fix a dent in the quarter, so ill clean it out then and check the lines. funny thing is, i had the same problem in my 74 nova when i first got it, i cant remember what i did to fix it. i think i rebuilt the carb or something

Ya floats could be set low or the pump could be on the way out.

You have flat tops in there?

While the tank is dropped blow the hard lines out. Just to eliminate that possibility too.