headliner removing??

braveops

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remove front and rear windshield. I have done my windshield twice, it only gets easier.

Pull off welting around the door openings.

Take off any interior trim pieces that are attached through the headliner.

Gently pull the headliner down on the edges where it is glued.

Pillars should all be different pieces.

You have headliner bows, dont willy nilly take them out. As you take them out, number them, and note which of the 3 holes was used.

Finally reverse the procedure. Rubber cement is a good choice. And binder clips to hold it to the edges... I have more binderclips then you will ever need for this.

When you put it in. Start going around and clipping it in. After you are happy with the fit. as in no wrinkles, glue one section in again, making sure to keep wrinkles out. I gave my car 24hours for the glue to dry.

Remove front and rear windshield. I have done my windshield twice, it only gets easier.

Pull off welting around the door openings.

Take off any interior trim pieces that are attached through the headliner.

Gently pull the headliner down on the edges where it is glued.

Pillars should all be different pieces.

You have headliner bows, dont willy nilly take them out. As you take them out, number them, and note which of the 3 holes was used.

Finally reverse the procedure. Rubber cement is a good choice. And binder clips to hold it to the edges... I have more binderclips then you will ever need for this.

When you put it in. Start going around and clipping it in. After you are happy with the fit. as in no wrinkles, glue one section in again, making sure to keep wrinkles out. I gave my car 24hours for the glue to dry.

cool thanks now i have to figure how to get my windows out that chrome trim looks tricky

Just Laecoan said! The NEW (on eBay) 2dr vs 4dr headliner is the same, it's just "tucked" differently around the B-pillars & side windows. If you have a 2dr car, and a 4dr parts car, you will have trouble at the B-pillar, cuz the pillars are located differently, and they will be trimmed & cut-to-fit differently between the two. If you are gonna go thru all the trouble (removing the front & rear glass & all the side trim), just buy the NEW headliner on eBay ($125??), and save yourself the hassle of trying to make a USED one work for you. Just my 2cents!

• Like 1

Just Laecoan said! The NEW (on eBay) 2dr vs 4dr headliner is the same, it's just "tucked" differently around the B-pillars & side windows. If you have a 2dr car, and a 4dr parts car, you will have trouble at the B-pillar, cuz the pillars are located differently, and they will be trimmed & cut-to-fit differently between the two. If you are gonna go thru all the trouble (removing the front & rear glass & all the side trim), just buy the NEW headliner on eBay ($125??), and save yourself the hassle of trying to make a USED one work for you. Just my 2cents!

Buying a new one will greatly reduce the risk of destroying the original one trying to remove it from the other car.

Yup, the original material gets "brittle" around the edges from age, and likely from the old glue too. When you try to peel it away from the edge of the metal lip, it will often tear & crack.