Painting honeycomb hubcaps

PineClone

Hi again all. New to forum and appreciate the input so far from the group prior to my recent purchase. Ended up forking out $1500 for this beauty (linked eblow)...1972 with 85,000 original miles. Needs some cleaning and will post more pictures soon.

I plan to get different wheels for it eventually. However, i'm toying around with the idea of taping off the chrome polygon edges and painting the inside of each polygon black or maybe maroon. Anyone done this?

Thanks.

https://docs.google....nlMSzk5a0E/edit

https://docs.google....25RTzNBMkU/edit

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one that came with/on my hatch that was painted like what you are talking about, and it looks okay, but heres the thing, they are polished stainless so paint is going to flake off over time if you just spray them.

If I was going to try this, I would mask them with blue fineline tape, scuff the areas to be painted with a fine "gray" scotchbrite pad, and maybe even use an etching primer, shoot the color, remove the tape, and clear the whole thing.

OR just go do some junkyard/scrapyard scrounging and get a set of 280z wheels, I put Iron Cross wheels on my car and they fill the fenders up alot better. If you use stock Datsun aluminum wheels you have to use the correct lug nuts, they are different from the "mag" nuts at Advance Auto.

I might be changing the wheels on my car...not sure yet...