original 320 engine with water in oil pan

I purchased a real clean seat for my 320 and the guy who sold it to me has an original engine/tranny for the 320 truck. He's doing a vg30 swap into his and is selling the engine and tranny. The problem is he says when he took the oil pan down it had water in the oil. Is this engine/tranny combo worth purchasing? What could cause water to get into the oil? Bad head gasket , cracked block , cracked head? I'm installing an l16 into my 320 but would like to go back to the original motor some day. Just to keep it bone stock.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does he want for it? After all he doesn't need it, does he? Even if it's a gasket, it's still a tired old, old, old motor and tranny possibly scrap on one hand and re-build able on the other. Talk to him, see what he wants for it. Talk him up. Explain that you wouldn't let it go to waste, he doesn't need it, it's not a running motor that can be driven and examined. Maybe he would give you $20 to take it away?? :D If he wants more than ... $50 give him your number and walk. He'll call in a couple of weeks.

What does he want for it? After all he doesn't need it, does he? Even if it's a gasket, it's still a tired old, old, old motor and tranny possibly scrap on one hand and re-build able on the other. Talk to him, see what he wants for it. Talk him up. Explain that you wouldn't let it go to waste, he doesn't need it, it's not a running motor that can be driven and examined. Maybe he would give you $20 to take it away?? :D If he wants more than ... $50 give him your number and walk. He'll call in a couple of weeks.

He wanted 3 bills for the engine and tranny. Its really clean . The PO told him it ran fine before he purchased it. He told me he took the pan down and found some water in the oil . He's now in the process of swaping a vg30 into his 320. I picked up the steering wheel , column , steering box and the rest of the steering stuff. I believe he's putting in a miata rack and pinion.

Where is the identification stamp located on the block? Is it on the passenger side like the l16-l20's? I looked at mine but its pretty dirty/dusty.