Redrilling drums and hubs?

Can I get some feedback please? ;)

I am finding very few that have done the work of redrilling the Datsun 6 lug drums and hubs to anything more common/affordable/easy.

This all got started for me when I began to look for great aftermarket rims for my little 521. The 17's from newer Titans and Pathfinders are great...just looking to explore some other avenues.:confused:

I live in Denver and there are plenty of "machine shops" that SHOULD be able to do the work...I find it interesting that many of them won't touch it...and they are going to be very proud of their work if they do.

Anyone got pics and or stories that might help?

I have seen a couple of pictures, just missing the stories...please gimme a little of both:)

I even found one that seems to have VW wide 5 Speed Masters on it! It looks freakin' cool! I'll post the url here:

http://www.hobidas.com/blog/shop/mooneyes/archives/042107/012s.jpg

and another option:

http://www.hobidas.com/blog/shop/mooneyes/archives/042107/012.html

with a close-up:

http://www.hobidas.com/blog/shop/mooneyes/archives/042107/014.html

Let me know guys...I got the old truck up on blocks waiting for a spare minute to shove the "new" 5-speed in it and complete the required driveline mods. I have Factory Nissan king-pins waiting...custom door panels too...so I thought that maybe before I get all up in it, I should ask. It might gently redirect my thoughts.

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was very common during the 70s. I had 2 friends in the Orange County area that had it done. A few guys ran Cragers and other 5 lug rims. It isn't too hard for a machine shop to do. Articles were run in Truckin' Magazine March 1988 pages 68 to 71. Another article was in Mini Truckin' Magazine August 1996 pages 32 to 35. Also May 1997 pages 88 to 89. Those last two articles were photographed being done at Pro Design in Santa Ana, Ca. I don't know if they are still there but Their phone number was 714-436-1158. Hope that helps. The last thing that I can suggest is that I can photocopy again the articles if You find a shop that THINKS that they can do it and You could take the photocopies with You to show them. I am actually looking for a shop to do this in the Las Vegas area.

try your local napa store, we have 1 here in glendale az, that is a suburb of phx, they have done them before, and yes they may charge a little bit to do it, but u get what u pay for, it's not just a matter of hooking a wheel up to a drill press and going at it, the cemetrics have to be correct, also the pattern and size of hole needed, so yea u will pay, but the out come is fantastic, and yes the porsche 5 spokes look cool on all old school datsuns..:D

Great input guys! Yeah, i guess I had forgotten about NAPA!:rolleyes:

I know that there are several decent choices in the 15 inch rim size. I am hoping to be able to run a little larger (17's hopefully) and that's where the thoughts started for me. I just came from the Goodguys car show here in Colorado and it got me thinkin'.

Thanks for the old magazine insight too..I used to have several of those exact issues! I will look into it, and hope to save you the trouble of getting them to me. Huge thanks though for bein' "on it"!

Anybody out there got any thoughts on the VW 5 lug 320?

Check with Shige on Mooneyes Japan. Yes, He speaks English very well and will answer You. He has been VERY helpful tracking down My Japanese magazines. You might check first, though, with Chico in Santa Fe Springs. Those rims are also on the blue 620 in Japan. I met the owner and saw the truck first hand. Shige's shop did that instillation. They had those rims at Moon a month ago when I was there.

http://www.mooneyes.co.jp brouse through photos, You'll find the rims.

This was very common during the 70s. I had 2 friends in the Orange County area that had it done. A few guys ran Cragers and other 5 lug rims. It isn't too hard for a machine shop to do. Articles were run in Truckin' Magazine March 1988 pages 68 to 71. Another article was in Mini Truckin' Magazine August 1996 pages 32 to 35. Also May 1997 pages 88 to 89. Those last two articles were photographed being done at Pro Design in Santa Ana, Ca. I don't know if they are still there but Their phone number was 714-436-1158. Hope that helps. The last thing that I can suggest is that I can photocopy again the articles if You find a shop that THINKS that they can do it and You could take the photocopies with You to show them. I am actually looking for a shop to do this in the Las Vegas area.

Pro Design is still around, a couple of weeks ago we sent out some chevy axles to change the partern from 5 to 6 lug. they did a great job, the drums I did them myself.

The funny thing is that you have one of the most common bolt patterns out there right now. I had no problem finding unique wheels for my 521 since I have a ton of choices. I personally think its too much work but if its going to be a show truck then the time and effort will make it even more unique. For the cost of machine work you probably can buy a set of rims. Not to mention your going to have some time involved going to the machine shop and removal and installation of parts. My 2 cents.

In this whole process I have been round and round in my head about what "easy" means, what "cheap" has to do with anything...or what "better" looks like. Both the idea and the time/money spent to bring the idea to pass have been a big factor in how it would look.

I am not planning a show truck, by any stretch of the imagination! I agree with you about the large amount of 6 lug rim choices...but when I saw the VW 5s on that Datsun it solidified in my mind that at least looking into it wouldn't hurt at all...and the switch would give me access to even more Junkyard options.($):o

Plus then it led to disk brake thoughts... and coils and bags and c-notching the frame and 4 link and inner fenders and thats when I woke up.:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the input guys! I will be contacting the above parties and seeing what they have to say, as well as another local option that recently came to light.

Thanks for jumpin' in guys!

I love this site and the fine folks that support it with time and knowledge.

That's cool ! ! Is the address still:

2020 South Susan, Unit "D"

Santa Ana, Ca. 92704

714-436-1158

??????????

I don't really know the exact address, I just know how to get there,there's street races a block away from there every Thursday night.