fuse link

doomdatsun

is there a way to get rid of this link?

stupid part stores don't carry the darn thing, they don't even know what it is.... <_<

I tried making my own but I found that its a special wire with special coating to prevent fire, that complicated things for me even more as no one sells such wire, I googled for solutions and found that people are using maxi fuses, that seemed good but required some work, then I thought about using pacific cartridges (fuse link inside a plastic box) as it has the same ratings as the fusible link wires, my question is it ok to wire the cartridge to a wire that goes to were the fuse link was, both sides ? if so I'm thinking of using very high rated amp wire gauge as to make sure no resistance occures in between causing excessive heat, say 14 gauge or 16?

note the color of fuse links are:

red

red

black

brown

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, since I wanted to get rid of fuse links I did this

p4220256.jpg

that's not a fuse link cause the wire gauge is higher than all the ratings

p4220258.jpg

p4220263.jpg

p4220264.jpg

p4220267.jpg

I went ahead and installed them, started the car while praying for no sparks or fire and we have blast off, car still have charging problems thou, checked the alt with bypass test and it was OK, guess need to check the regulator, I suspect that the regulator wiring might be different in one or two wires.

Although they do the same job, I think the fusible link is slower to melt than a fuse. A sudden current spike could blow a fuse but a fusible link takes a few seconds.

Here are some of the Nissan fusible link color codes and ratings.

Pink..... 30amp

Green... 40amp.... 0.50 sq mm.

Red...... 50amp.... 0.69 sq mm.

Yellow.. 60amp

Black.... 80amp... 1.25 sq mm.

Blue..... 100amp

And buy spares for the glove box.

I wouldn't. Fusible links use wires with a hypalon coating. Hypalon is resistant to high temperatures and is fire resistant. The idea is that the wire melts and brakes the circuit inside (like a fuse) but does not set fire to the outer cover of hypalon. Often fusible links look fine on the outside but and broken inside from melting.

Fusible link ratings are dependent on the wire size and length, so they should be replaced with same size and length wires. The fusible link should be 4 sizes smaller than the wires it protects. So a 12 gauge wire circuit should use a 16 gauge fusible link.

.... by the way I hooked what you saw above to fuse box and it worked B)

Yes it will work. A paper clip will work too. This is a safety device that may never be needed but you'll be glad it's there if you ever do need it. Fusible links are there to protect major wiring from catastrophic failures like an accident where power wires are crushed and shorted to the body. Without them the wire harnesses in the dash and body would glow like a toaster and catch fire. These major wires are to the ignition, to the alternator and the supply to the fuse box. All wiring after the fuse box is protected by their smaller fuses.

• 10 months later...

Newbie..picking up where my ex left off on my Datsun 1983 810 Maxima Wagon project. The headlights, turn signals, a/c won't turn on. I changed all the square colored fuses and bought a new Nissan battery.. and the alternator was changed over a year ago .. . Would this be a relay issue or fusible links? There are two blue plastic boxes I found near the battery..they look corroded inside ..I want to order the part online ..I couldn't find any factory part info ..any suggestions..thanks for your help