Dogleg 5-speed Bell housing Question

JoeMan824

Ive got a l18 with a dogleg 5-speed in the 510 I recently picked up. The 5-speed im assuming is from a nap-z motor because it is tilted in the car and the shifter is angled towards the passenger. If i wanted to correct this is it possible to use a z/zx bell housing or does it have to be the correct dogleg trans bell housing from an L series engine? Ive found info saying different things unless im reading something wrong....

http://community.rat...-swap-into-510/

and

http://www.newprotes...0/gearRatios.pl

I am hoping a z zx bell housing will correct the problem cause from what i have found near me the are easier to come by.

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogleg (63A) series transmissions use a unique front case (what you are calling a bellhousing). There are 3 versions- A-series, L-series, and NAPS-Z. You cannot use a front case from a 71 series transmission (which is what the z/zx transmissions are). You would have to find another 63A transmission, and as you said, they aren't easy to come by.

Ive got a l18 with a dogleg 5-speed in the 510 I recently picked up. The 5-speed im assuming is from a nap-z motor because it is tilted in the car and the shifter is angled towards the passenger. If i wanted to correct this is it possible to use a z/zx bell housing or does it have to be the correct dogleg trans bell housing from an L series engine? Ive found info saying different things unless im reading something wrong....

http://community.rat...-swap-into-510/

and

http://www.newprotes...0/gearRatios.pl

I am hoping a z zx bell housing will correct the problem cause from what i have found near me the are easier to come by.

Thanks!

When the Z dogleg is turned to to the right to mate to an L series motor, it will lift as well as tilt to the passenger side. Just imagine a ruler on a table. Put your finger on the 6 " mark. Now rotate the ruler like a propeller. Well right away you can see that one side is on the table top and won't go down. If you lift the other side the middle, with your finger lifts too. Unless the rear transmission mount is modified the tranny tailstock will position itself slightly higher. Among other things this will alter the driveshaft angle and cause vibrations. Modify the rear mount to lower it back into the stock location and build a wedge shape to properly support it. Bend the shifter to the left to get it vertical. There's no reason why you can't run this on an angle and this is way easier than removing it for a four (yuck) speed..

6 of one, half dozen of the other. Both have weak spots. The small bearings and shaft diameters are pretty much the same on both. Doglegs tend to break synchos and pop out of gear when they're worn out. The overdrive tends to put more strain on internal components. The original 63 4-speed (not the later 63L) had a tendency to break forks and engage more than one gear at a time, with rather catastrophic results. But in both cases that's either from exessively worn gearboxes, or ones that have been abused by shoving 120HP, or doing burnouts, or slamming through the gears. Or overloading trucks, that sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...