Engine help!!!!!!

so i have recently bought my first datsun. of course not running when i bought but i knew she had potential. the guy i bought it from said it blew a head gasket and he tried to fix it along with a new timing chain. after getting it home i found that the timing chain was put on horribly wrong. after watching hainzs video i put the new timing chain on the right way and a new head gasket, i got it all back together. it is super close to sarting it will catch and catch just not enough to start. the truck was sitting for a year before i got it. my compression tester is saying 75-80 is that alright? i'm going to get some new points for it tomorrow to see if that is the problem. but i have spark and i can't really put the timing light on it till i have it running? does any one have any other suggestions?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

75-80 is not alright. Way too low. Check the valve clearances and hope they are too tight and thats your problem. Re-check the torque on the head gasket too.

If the rings are shot, this also would cause poor compression. Squirt some oil in the cylinder, if compression goes up, the rings are bad.

If the cam was WAY wrong the pistons could have come up when open and bent some.:eek:

75-80 is not alright. Way too low. Check the valve clearances and hope they are too tight and thats your problem. Re-check the torque on the head gasket too.

If the rings are shot, this also would cause poor compression. Squirt some oil in the cylinder, if compression goes up, the rings are bad.

If the cam was WAY wrong the pistons could have come up when open and bent some.:eek:

Also put a lot oil around valves and rockers and springs...when cars have not been running for a long time, there miay not be enough oil or it may be bad. if you do not have an pressure gauge do so now. You can temp. install one where the sending unit is located. Then have someone start it and watch the gauge. If no oil pressure after start turn off engine....

• 3 weeks later...

oxymoron statment!!!!!

that i'm getting spark at the distributer but not at the plugs but how ever i can start the truck and barely keep it running(running horribly by the way) so....

If no sparks at plugs how is it running.

PS you sure the oil pump spindal/drive is installed correctly? when it was at TDC? rorot points at #1 plug wire and your timming plate is close to the center? If timming plate or dist is pused to one side of the timming plate to get running then you might be off a tooth. try removng the 100mm bolt that holds down the distributor and move the dist abit more and see if runs better.

your close!!!!!!!!

amke sure dizzy at TDC 0 on crank looks like this

should I assume the vlave lash is correct ans the timming chain is timmed?

HPIM0236_thumb.JPG