Fusible Links conversion to maxi fuse

ISPKI

Hey guys,

The fusible links in my 77 280z are completely shot in my 77 280z. It appears as though most of them had melted at some point, then were taped back together, then melted again. I replaced some of them with new wire, not realizing that they require a special type of wire. I read online that these fusible links are a huge headache and the actual replacement links are very expensive (about 40$ for the four of them on ebay).

I then read about some guys who swapped out the entire setup for a distributor box with maxi fuses. The boxes can be had for about the same price as the fusible links and the fuses are obviously much cheaper. The whole setup looks much cleaner too. The only thing I havent found is how reliable this setup is as a replacement. I was wondering if anyone here on ratsun has done this conversion and how has it worked out so far for them?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done this on other cars. The most important thing to remember is that they are there for a reason -- to keep your car from burning down. If you are cooking circuit protectors (fuses, fusible links, relays, circuit breakers) there is something wrong downstream. NEVER, eliminate or bypass a circuit protector. So, the advantage of a maxifuse is that you can keep a spare in your glovebox. That way if you have a major short in the middle of nowhere, then isolate (repair) it, you can pop in your spare fuse and get home.

Shoot. I just need to replace the link holder and the links. Some of the links are just wires taped on. I figured I might as well upgrade to a newer setup since replacing the links and holders and caps would probably cost at least double what the conversion cost.

All I did was go to NAPA and buy a roll of the proper size fusible link wire. Crimp on new ends, viola! New fusible links.

But, I've seen folks replace them with slo-blow fuses (fusible links are slow blow, otherwise they'd have just used regular fuses), or circuit breakers. Either way works. Replacing the wires with regular automotive wire or (in the case of my dear departed Mercury Grand Marquis, which melted the harness because of it) house wiring is a good way to requiring an entire wiring harness, if the car doesn't catch fire first.

You are missing the point. The fusible links are a safety feature. If they have done their job by melting, then something caused that. Finding what caused the link to melt is more important than converting to a different type of fuse. I know of the write up you saw. Research more and you will find more information that improved upon the write up. Also converting to a different type of fuse is not legal in all states for street use. Also, the conversion can have bad results as well. Take a moment to read what the factory service manual says to do if you discover a damaged fusible link. We drive on the roads too, and I saw a car-b-que last week. It had traffic backed up and put many people in danger. You.jpg

Oh yes, I realize this San Maru, and I think I already found and replaced the cause of the original melting of the links. Since I obtained the vehicle just a few weeks ago, I have replaced many wires and have not blown any fuses or burned any more links. I am just trying to clean up the mess that previous owners left the car in. From what I have read, these fusible links arent as reliable as modern fuses. I am not sure if that is 100% true or not, but, they must have stopped using this style and switched to maxi fuses for a reason.

I've been thinking of switching to aircraft style toggle fuses. when they pop the button comes out. you reset them by pressing the button back in. you'd never have to carry fuses again. i wouldn't recommend them for everyone tho. the temptation is to reset the fuse, keep going and forget the problem. im OCD about shit like that tho... if it pops I'm gonna fix it.

rallycarinterior005.jpg

Update and quick question for you guys.

The guy that was selling the distributor block is not selling them anymore. He recommended a Scosche EFX block. The block takes a 4 guage in and four 8 gauge wires out. My question is, what is the gauge of the white wires with the red stripe that go in and out of the bottom of the fusible link holders?