release bearing sleeve

doomdatsun

hi there all

this is my first post, although not my first visit to ratsun

having trouble with gearbox (stumpy) 71b 5 speed trans, just change the clutch and pressure plate and was going to mount the trans, but I noticed that when I move the bearing sleeve it reaches the end of the front cover shaft and leans on an angle( not square) and have hard time going back unless you adjust it by hand, where does the sleeve travel from and stops where ? it have a groove inside which its gets stuck becoaus of, is this groove normal or is it the accumelation of wear over the years?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi there all

this is my first post, although not my first visit to ratsun

having trouble with gearbox (stumpy) 71b 5 speed trans, just change the clutch and pressure plate and was going to mount the trans, but I noticed that when I move the bearing sleeve it reaches the end of the front cover shaft and leans on an angle( not square) and have hard time going back unless you adjust it by hand, where does the sleeve travel from and stops where ? it have a groove inside which its gets stuck becoaus of, is this groove normal or is it the accumelation of wear over the years?

I don't know what you know. Possibly you don't know what you have and may be repeating what someone else told you about your transmission. From what little information shared you have a short 71B so you must have a 720 truck?

Z24 motor?

Was this ever running properly and you changed the clutch?

Or everything is unknown about the transmission (never used) and you just changed the clutch?

Is this 720 5 speed being installed in a car like the '80-'83 200sx?

Was this Z series transmission converted for use on an L series motor? If so what one?

Provide some pictures, they always help. Here's a tutorial for posting pictures... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

the trans is fs5w71b (short tail) fitted to L6 engine (L20a) directly from manufacturer, my prob is that I need to know if the sleeve needs to be replaced do to wear in its inside part or not, same goes for the trans front cover( sleeve's home base), that is for it being stuck once moved to front ( a groove inside the sleeve gets against the front cover shaft outside diameter so it loses its squareness to the shaft and gets stuck. second prob is that when I got the motor the transmission was hanging from it ( not rear mount bushing there!) and top bolts were loose and way behind, my question is the trans damaged and should be replaced? I'm always having this clunking sound when depressing the clutch and releasing it, shifting gets sometimes hard and down shifting while car moving and using brakes is impossible unless the speed is too low or from a dead stop, add to that its sometimes hard to shift ( I get stuck trying to go to third or fourth while in HY :P ), trans now under the car as I just changed the clutch and pressure plate with new ones (release bearing is new koyo bearing but the sleeve is the same), I don't want to install everything to have down again.

p3270247.jpg

p3270244m.jpg

p3270246.jpg

p3270250.jpg

p3270249.jpg

I measured the sleeve length and found it was 39mm (I found earlier on ratsun a picture with 4 sleeves and transmission types), thus I think its for type B trans but a 4 speed not 5 as I have?!! the parts store man (he's an old man with knowledge) said that my car sleeve shouldn't be like it, could that be the cause? the clutch is about 23mm (I assume its a 24 mm flywheel as you say)

The groove inside the collar for the bearing is normal. It should be filled with grease.

p3270249.jpg

It should slide freely back and forth on the long nose of the front cover plate and when installed will not reach past the end and catch.

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx008Large.jpg

The collar is matched to the clutch size used and comes in varying lengths. A 200mm clutch would use a longer one than a 225mm clutch and a 225mm would be longer than one for a 240mm clutch.

If this transmission has been used with this clutch then it's likely the correct length so just get another collar the same length. If not, well you will need to get the right one.

Generally the larger the pressure plate diameter the shorter the release bearing collar needed. A 200mm clutch will use a longer collar than a 225mm, and a 225mm will be longer than a 240mm.

I've seen that picture before and it doesn't really help. The collar length is matched to the clutch diameter size and not really the transmission type as shown.

If you are sure of the 225mm clutch. Then the 30501-N1600 fits 225mm clutches used on the 620/720, 810, 280z and 280zx after '74. I assume the L20A is newer than '74? or is it???

225mmt-oBearingSleeves.jpg

• Like 1

yes the L20a I have is the newer model past the 1979, in fact my car is 1983 model datsun laurel, in one of the pics the pressure plate is a new one I bought recently, its a valeo pressure plate and clutch, the clutch is 225mm full length(I did check several times as well), so should I use the tallest one in the pics ( the 39 mm ) or the next one to it ( the 35 mm) one?

The bearing collar is matched to the height of the diaphragm fingers above the flywheel clutch surface. For example a 225mm would be 'taller' than a 200mm pressure plate and need a shorter coller.

I can't give you an exact number to work with here. Measure down from the diaphragm fingers to the PP on your new clutch. If you have your old clutch install and do the same. As long as both are very close to the same number you old bearing collar should work.