speedometer cable

Okay I am going frickin nuts. This is the second speedometer cable I've installed on my 510 - 1971. And the first one (NAPA), broke on the speedometer side. So I ordered another one and this one I think broke again since the speedometer is not spinning.

I installed the end that connects to the tranny then installed the other end to the speedo..am I supposed to grease the speedo first, what the fudge am I doing wrong?

RacerX

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I've had the same problem on my 620 with my 4 month old speedo cable. The speedo will stay at one speed for a while and then move to another and stay there for days. The odometer still turns though. I also bought my cable from NAPA.

my needle was sticking in places then my speedo got ruined in my 521 cause the cable inside was too long. i would have to unscrew it from the speedo and my needle would fall back down to zero. it was so long i could barley get the threads to grab when hooking it up. pair of dikes fixed the problem. better to break the cable than the speedo.

I have seen guys pouring gear oil down speedo cables to lube them before installing them. But... I messed up my own speedo gauge by spraying a bit of PTFE/silicone on it - they are sensitive things...

NAPA took my fuck up speedo cable back and bought another one at AutoZone..To tell you the truth the one at autozone is more bendable and easier to install (Pioneer Brand)..the one from NAPA is too hard..

Okay, installed the speedo cable last night and made sure there are no kinks and grease both ends as recommended..now, the speedometer does not start at 0 mph but at 10, then it bounces from 10-25, and I don't think it's measuring the right speed since I am tacking about 3,500 and it says 40 mph and this is on the freeway. And it seems like it gets stuck at 50 mph..so what gives...I can't believe this..3 cables later and I am still having a hard time getting this thing to work. Do you think it's my speedometer or gear on my tranny or maybe I did not connect right?

I am so frickin lost????