Is my 1970 521 4 speed made by borg warner?

The question is for every one but I know datsunmike has the answer. If i ever need a brain transplant datsunmike better be runnin and hidding. I know that borg warner made some of the datsun early auto trannys and was wondering if they made the 4 speed. If you look at the borg warner T10 4 speed for chevys were talking about the most sought after chevy tranny made.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only standard tranny I know of made by Borg/Warner is the T-5 for the '82-'83 280zx and later 300zx. The T10 is different from any Nissan 4 or 5 speed and has side shifter linkage, whereas the nissan are 'top loaders'. Does not look like any Nissan standard.

B/W teamed with the Japan Automatic Transmission COmpany (JATCO) in the early '50s to make auto transmissions. The 3N71B is, I think, based on the B/W type 35 automatic used in Britain? It came into use around '69 so early 510s will have a Borg Warner auto in them.

All I can find is that 4 and 5 spd manuals are made by Nissan. Weather they have someone else make them for them is unclear. datsunaholic may know this.

The Borg Warner automatics are different from the JATCO automatics. My 69 510 wagon had a Borg Warner, but starting around 1971 the switched to JATCO.

Who made the 60s-70s Datsun manual transmissions? I'm thinking they were Nissan in-house designs.

Borg Warner teamer with Aisen to [unfortunately for Datsun lovers] build transmissions for Toyota. JATCO transmissions are [equally unfortunately but in a different way] based on Ford Motor Co automatic transmission designs. Fordomatic anyone? My idea of perfection would be a Nissan V6 and an Aisen Warned 4 speed.