wont go into gear... kinda..

so im just getiing done putting a new rebuilt engine in my truck. Only replaced the engine becuase the last time it ran the transmission it was good. I got the engine in, got it to fire up and was able to drive it up and down the street shifting from first to third. Went into reverse and 1st,2nd, and 3rd no problems. Then i towed it to muffler shop to get exhaust on a tow dolly..when i got back from muffler shop i backed it off the tow dolly and noticed a squeal. I thought it was just the belt..so toaday i bolted on the header i bought since the intake mani i had had 2 broken bolts in it and fired the engine up. The squeal was still there after tightning up the belt. I notice the squeal goes away and comes back if i step on the clutch. The thing is now that i have this squeal, i can push the clutch and put it into gear, but when i let the clutch out all the way the truck wont move :confused: . I have no idea what happened since the tow. i did replace the transmission oil an diff. oil w/ gl4 inthe trans. and gl5 in the diff... guy at work said it may be t/o bearing... i have no idea whats wrong.. will a bad t/o bearing keep it from going in gear? i can see the clutch slave pushing the fork in and out when my kid steps on the clutch..

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i towed it to muffler shop to get exhaust on a tow dolly
Backwards? It is allowed to tow up to 50 miles with the rear wheels on the ground, otherwise two it backwards with the steering column locked.

If you had it in gear while towing it will do damage. Might have even popped out of gear during towing.

will a bad t/o bearing keep it from going in gear?
Not likely.

wont go into gear ... i can push the clutch and put it into gear
Can you explain -- does it go into gear or not? Or it goes into gear but the car won't move?
it goes into gear but when i let the clutch all the way out it doesnt move
That cannot be caused by the throwout bearing. The squealing sound could be the throwout bearing.

Possibly the clutch facing has come loose.

Or maybe the throwout lever is too tight. With engine off, and you reach under the vehicle, is there any play in the throwout fork? Can you pull it back against the spring a little ways?

Possible something hit the throwout lever while towing or moving the car. you can see it move in and out, but is it moving far enough out?

Possibly the clutch facing has come loose.

Or maybe the throwout lever is too tight. With engine off, and you reach under the vehicle, is there any play in the throwout fork? Can you pull it back against the spring a little ways?

Possible something hit the throwout lever while towing or moving the car. you can see it move in and out, but is it moving far enough out?

il check that 1st thing in the morning.. as for now i need al pastor tacos n beer!!

yes not good.

There are 3 possibilities I can think of:

1. Transmission is broken. Not likely.

2. Clutch has come apart. Possible

3. Throwout fork is not releasing all the way. Very likely.

What I would do is unbolt the slave cylinder, and move the throwout fork by hand. If you still can't get any free play, either the fork is bent or you have the wrong pressure plate/throwout sleeve combination.

I used the clutch/pressure plate I got from sum1on ratsun.. Came off an l18 engine..

Well it may be miss matched to the release bearing collar. Collar too long, bearing against the diaphragm fingers all the time, clutch acts like its disengaged all the time. But it did work for a while so...

If the clutch IS working then it has to be the transmission and that will be a major blow-up.

Swapped the push rod off another clutch slave I had that was about an inch shorter, bled the system and was able to get her in reverse down the driveway and pull back up in 1st.. Bearing still squealing bad when I push clutch in.. What's the easiest way to replace the throw out bearing? As if there is an easy way..

Easiest way is to drain the coolant, remove the radiator. Then fan and all engine cables & wires, motor mount. Remove driveshaft and plug end of transmission. Pull the whole power unit out and change the bearing.

The bearing may have wore out because it was continously running, instead of have the normal free amount due to the wrong pushrod.

all the throwout bearings are the same for almost all Datsuns regardless of engine type or transmission type.

What you need to worry about is the Pressure Plate that you have and then select the correct throwout bearing carrier sleeve. The sleeves come in different lengths for different combos.