L-16 Engine Blew, Building LZ2.2 Stroker

510SSS

Ok so I'm trying to get my (1971 Datsun 510) back on the road after she started smokin like a chimney from worn rings. Now I figure this is my oppurtunity to upgrade, so I am building a LZ motor to replace it, here is my set up: L20b Block Bored .50 over, LZ22 crankshaft, LZ20E long connecting rods, Rebuilt W53 Peanut Head Shaved Very Low, L20b stock cam, Custom Headers, Dual SU Carbs. I was wondering if anyone can estimate for me what kind of compression I will have. I am trying to keep the compression low enough so that I can run on 91 pump gas since it is my daily driver. What type of pistons do you think would be good to use in order to lower the compression ratio? ring reccomendations? Any other techniques to keep the compression ratio reasonable? Thanks everyone.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

L20B block with Z20E rods and Z22 crank will require a piston pin height of just under 30mm and there are none ready made by Nissan. Custom ones are too expensive. Also a .5 overbore L20B with a Z22 crank is only 2136cc max.

If you have an L20B block bore it to 87mm and slip a Z22 crank and pistons into it using your L20B rods... 2.2 liter, all Nissan used parts from a wrecking yard. Even easier is a good running Z22 motor and swap an L head, timing cover and oil pan on... done LZ22

Would I be able to run an a stock L20b crank and utlize the L20E long connecting rods? Will this help to keep my compression down at all? My block is already bored and I cannot afford to rebore it, I am just going to have to hone it as is.

Would I be able to run an a stock L20b crank and utlize the L20E long connecting rods? Will this help to keep my compression down at all? My block is already bored and I cannot afford to rebore it, I am just going to have to hone it as is.

A block should be bored to match pistons not the other way round. If this was over bored where are the pistons for it?

You can use the L20B crank and the Z20E rods only if you find Z20E pistons that are .5mm oversize to fit the block. These will be flattop and have a 9.6 compression with an open chamber head.

• Like 1

I am using a closed chamber peanut head (W53), with my combination of .40 (87mm) overbore. Could I run L20b connecting rods in order to lower my compression? What piston/rod combination would allow me to best run on 91 pump gas?