Tranny Swap??

_chiefjt

So my 5 speed tranny in my '86 720 doesn't feel right. When the rpms are up going from third to fourth sucks. It doesnt want to go into fourth speed shifting but does when your not. Don't know whats wrong i have to check it out.

But is there another tranny that would fit right up that has better performance. Was wondering if a 240sx transmission would work?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the rpms are up going from third to fourth sucks.

What the hell does 'sucks' mean? Transmissions might grind or not shift. They might be tight or whine or growl. Suck???????????

It doesnt want to go into fourth speed shifting but does when your not.

What??? It goes into fourth when your not shifting??? How does this make any sense????

Try again.

I think what he means datzenmike is if he trys slamming it into 4th from third while racing/race like shifting, it won't go in, but not forcing it/normal light touch shift, it drops into gear.

If I were to guess with the information suppied, I might say the clutch is not being pushed long enough for the shift to successfully be completed, but this is just a guess.

Ah yeah. That makes more better sense. :)

The synchro for 4th could be getting tired. As Wayno said the clutch might not be disengaging fully too or just too fast on the shift.

Does it grind when shifting into reverse??? If yes, perhaps the hydraulic clutch has some air in it..

Grinding when shifting into reverse means the clutch is not fully disengaged. This can be several things but one is low or empty master. If empty refilling may not always fix the problem as air has already got in and is trapped. If the master is low the fluid must have gone somewhere so expect a bad or leaky slave.

Usually you can refill the master and open the bleeder on the slave. One or two pumps will (usually) start the fluid siphoning down and out taking any air bubbles with it. Be sure the master does not go dry when doing this or you will have to begin all over again. If this does not work have someone hold the clutch down while you open the bleeder to let any fluid and air out. Close the bleeder and raise the peddle and push down again. Open bleeder and close it and repeat. When it stops spitting air out for 3 or 4 pumps, tighten the bleeder and top up the master.

This is way cheaper than a new transmission.