Stick vs. Auto

You can accelerate faster with a 5 speed. To my understanding the auto has a higher top speed. It shifts strong and hard like a mercedes (probably because it's a mercedes rip off like everything else in a datsun) Keep it lubed and drive it.

I had a 510 wagon once that had a shift kit in it that would make it shift later in the power band and when it grabbed, it slammed.. wish I would have kept that transmission; thing was awesome.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Mike you are saying that the automatic is just as fast (if not faster) as an stick! I am not going to tow much of anything I just want something that i can speed up and make look good.

Should I get a shift kit or change/alter the valve body? (of coarse if I get an auto).

It only helps to have a higher top speed if you drive there. Otherwise a corvette is as fast as a moped in town.

A standard does take some skill to drive smoothly and effectively specially in traffic and around town requiring good foot/hand co-ordination. It is a melding of man and machine with peddles becoming an extension of your legs and the shifter an extension of your arm. Speed welds them into one.

An automatic is more removed from this. It is less work and easier to drive in traffic and town and is closer to just plain transportation.

I don't know which is worse, being tired and wishing you had an automatic while driving a standard or wanting to carve up the road and wishing you had a standard but driving an automatic.

I live in greater nyc and never wished for an auto in traffic. Everyone mentioned traffic and hills being a pita to me before I was a driver, I still dont know what all the fuss is about lol.

Guest kamakazi620

It only helps to have a higher top speed if you drive there. Otherwise a corvette is as fast as a moped in town.

A standard does take some skill to drive smoothly and effectively specially in traffic and around town requiring good foot/hand co-ordination. It is a melding of man and machine with peddles becoming an extension of your legs and the shifter an extension of your arm. Speed welds them into one.

An automatic is more removed from this. It is less work and easier to drive in traffic and town and is closer to just plain transportation.

I don't know which is worse, being tired and wishing you had an automatic while driving a standard or wanting to carve up the road and wishing you had a standard but driving an automatic.

Does the Datsun/Borg Warner Automatic have an Overdrive top gear??? why would it go faster top end than a 5 speed???

The Datsun Borg Warner didn't have an overdrive

The more common Datsun JATCO had an overdrive version but only in the very last Datsuns.

The 3-speed Automatics might go faster (faster top speed) because they were fitted with higher gears. But certainly there were not as quick accelerating as the 4-speed manuals. In the manuals, 5th gear generally was slower top speed than 4th.

Guest kamakazi620

The Datsun Borg Warner didn't have an overdrive

But the more common Datsun JATCO had an overdrive version.

The 3-speed Automatics might go faster (faster top speed) because they were fitted with higher gears. But certainly there were not as quick accelerating as the 4-speed manuals.

I always thought the auto datsuns had lower gears so it would get out of its own way? i had a 77 710 wagon with an auto slow as shit and on the freeway it felt like it was going 5-6000 rpms at 60..

Which would be one of the few Datsuns that had higher gears. 620s either had the same gears manual/automatic (75-78) or lower gears in the Automatic (73-74 and 79). The 200SX was an exception ONLY because the 5-speed was standard. Most everything else had a 4-speed standard.