thinking abt buying a 521

jhagan730

hello this is my first post. i found on craigslist a 72 datsun 521 truck for two grand and thinking about buying it. ive been following datsuns for a few months and finally able to find one and need to know a few things.

1. how easy is it to find parts if i have an issue down the road?

2. what potential issues would i need to look for when i meet him?

datsun trucks are rare in my area of tennessee bc people dont want to give them up. i commute 30 miles a day mostly highway and i want this for a commuter is this a good idea? thanks guys.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's on the road and being driven,,, that's a plus. If sitting or not running pass on it. If you can't take for a ride how can you tell if

The brakes work

The motor/tranny/diff are quiet

If the motor puff blue smoke, overheats, restarts when warm

If the suspension / steering needs work.

If it is drivable...

Are parts missing? or held on with wire? Does it have non Datsun parts cobbled together like a push button horn on the steering column? Has the truck obviously been maintained or just driven into the ground?

Are the electrical wires hanging down under the dash? Cut up for previous owner's CB, stereo, theft alarm?

Are there 4 different size tires on it?

Missing glass, interior trim pieces, grill, marker lights?

Do ALL the lights and signals, 4 ways work? Heater, wiper?

The motor can be replaced with any L series made through '80... if you can find one. The tranny is more of a problem... the 510 sedan and goon, 710 and the early 620 4 speeds are close and can be made to work. Most old Datsun owners have stockpiles of old spare parts they collect if they see or find them and never throw away. Once the vehicle is in good running condition it can be extremely reliable but you still have to maintain them.

even for 2grand there are a few things to check on top of what mike listed like floors boards, rockers, frame (actually use a small hammer to tap along the frame for rot), around windows.... I am sure there is more, the frame being the big one if it is rotted walk away the rest can be fixed easy enough but not the frame.

thanks for the reply king. from the pics the car has little rust and the paints faded bu does not bother me. he told me it was used as a farm truck and still runs and drives great. from the picturs it looks to be in really good shape. if i can drive it down the road it will be worth two grand to me. we shall see tomarrow afternoon ill let you know how it goes.

even for 2grand there are a few things to check on top of what mike listed like floors boards, rockers, frame (actually use a small hammer to tap along the frame for rot), around windows.... I am sure there is more, the frame being the big one if it is rotted walk away the rest can be fixed easy enough but not the frame.

i am lucky to live in the south it is really rare to have frames, floorpans, things like thatfrom the pics its got min rust in small spots. ill bring a flashlight to check under the truck. thanks datsun mechanic