4 Speed Tranny question....

Fuelrags

I just bought my first 73'620 with a 4 speed Tranny. Question,my shifter has a lot of SLOP in it but yet it shifts smooth. Is there an easy fix or is this the way most are??? Thanks, Martin.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the 4 speeds are notoriously sloppy and there isn't much other than replacing a fresh shifter boot every couple months to make it any better....if it shifts good/ drive it. I figured that out after 4+ years of my SUPER_SLOPPY 4 speed 71 PL521. No matter what I did, it got back to slop after a couple weeks.

The shifter bushings are made of plastic so of course they wear out and the shifter gets sloppy. Mine was so bad if was 50/50 if you went into third or fifth.

I used the HELP package for the Chrysler door hinge:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/DSC01168.jpg[/img]"]DSC01168.jpg

The bushing wouldn't fit into the shifter and the hole was too big for the cross pin:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/DSC01195.jpg[/img]"]DSC01195.jpg

..so I used a Dremel and took a thin slice out and squeezed the ends together and it fit the shifter perfectly and now the center hole is smaller and fits the pin exactly:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/shifterbushing004.jpg[/img]"]shifterbushing004.jpg

The shifter may be a tight fit so you may have to file the shoulders down slightly to fit between the 'ears on the tranny.

The door hinge kit I used was #38388 but others said that #38377 was the right one and fit without modifications but I haven't tried it. The Nissan bushing kit is pt.no. 32849-H1010 (thanks Hainz) but they are plastic and will wear out sooner or break

DoctorB the shifter you are referring to in the 521, is most likely the 'A' type like the top picture in my first post. As shown, it has two rubber 'cones' holding the shifter and was known as the infamous 'monkey motion' shifter.

hey guys, newbie here! been a z man, but just got a sweet 72 620 chop top. only problem is the trans/4 speed is bad. ive been trying to find out what exact 5 speed trans will fit, and been getting all kinds of info, all different. i have a 76 fairlady z trans, but its different. longer and the input shaft is a little longer. i go to a u pull it yard and they have tons of old datsuns, if i could figure out which one i need.

Some of the early '72.5 and '73 620 used a short tail F4W63 tranny. I think this was the same one used in the '68-'73 510 and if so a '77-'79 200sx dogleg 5spd tranny should fit your truck without shortening the drive shaft.

Measure your tranny length from the front of the case to the start of the drive shaft. It's probably a little over 26" so find out. Is the speedo cable on the driver's side of the tranny???

Because the 620 also came with a long (aprox 31.5") tail 4 and 5spd. ('74-'79) get the shorter front drive shaft (it's a two piece) and any '77-'79 620 5spd will now fit as will the '77-'79 280z wide ratio and the '80-'83 280z close ratio 5spds.

sethris, you really should start your own thread and post some pictures of your truck. This way you can add to it as your project develops.

yeah im sorry to hi-jack someones thread! but im desperate! ill post pics in the next day or so. its a really awesome truck. just needs a little tlc. thanks guys!