aftermarket cam or turbo for l20b

ok so right now i have a 76 620 with l20b, and i wanna see how much power i can pull outta this motor, if i can't get much more then I'm just going to swap out. so i have 2 questions.

1. does any company make a bigger cam i can put in if so is there a valve train anyone recommends?

2. is there a turbo for these?

so far Im about to put in a weber 40 i got a holly electric fuel pump but i don't really expect to get much outta that.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just about every cam company will make a larger camshaft. But your low-RPM power will drop. Just call your favorite cam company and special order a cam for the L20B, tell them the RPM range you want it to work at. The stock cam seems like a 2000-5000 RPM powerband. For better airflow, use the stock large L20B carburetor instead of a weber 32/36. Well actually you should move up to 40mm or 44mm sidedrafts if you want significantly more power.

No one makes a turbo kit right now. But you can design one yourself.

You don't need to open it up, just read the venturi numbers, look down the carb throats.

To my knowledge, no one makes a turbo kit right now for a Datsun 620 or any other L20B vehicle. They did in the past. Guys can get 200 HP out of a little Datsun 1200cc stock-block with a stock 1400cc head, so the L20B should likewise pump out the power with careful part selection and tuning. Probably won't last 25,000 miles, but it is do-able.

30mm venturi is small, even with the stock L20B camshaft. The stock hitachi DCH340 has larger secondary venturi than that (31+24 on a plenum design which your sidedraft manifold lacks).

A Weber 40 can take up to to 36mm venturis. Which is still too small for high performance at 6000 RPM with a 2-liter engine.

Do you rev your engine to 5000 often? It's the best way to make more power -- rev it higher. With larger carburetor it should wake up without even changing the cam.

heres the thing when i step on it..... i don't wanna feel like I'm in a prius lol wanna keep as a daily with some balls. its down to this either i build off this motor which runs super good or i go to an sr20. i know theres no comparing the two but...... i think u c where I'm coming from. i know the sr20det. alotta work, but in my opinion well worth it.

• 3 months later...

Find an early 620 automatic or an '80 720 4x4 Long Bed. They both had a 4.625 ratio differentials. Cheap and easy to swap and you can swap it back to your 4.375 later. No mods to the motor needed so it runs the same. The lower gears remove top speed but give it back in improved low speed torque and acceleration. The motor is revving higher than the old gears at the same speed so it's making more power at that speed and revs quicker through the gears.

Truck flywheels are 29 pounds weight. Get a Maxima, 280z or zx flywheel they are 21 pounds. Both are 225mm so your clutch will fit and work on it.

• 1 year later...

So, I see a lot of conversations about the SR20 turbo motor but not much of the Ka24det motor. I have a 79 620 I want to put the Ka turbo motor in, is the preference in here the SR20's? and if so why is that? verses the Ka24?