Different leaf springs

dastunboy61o

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It does many things. Leaf springs are well springs. They are measured in how much weight to deflect them so far (x distance, usually 1 inch...).

You can take out a leaf to lower the spring rate, this will lower the truck some, but mainly it will make the springs less stiff. Some ride with only 1 spring, eek. Some change out leafs to get a desired spring rate or height.

Do you ever haul things with your 620? If so keep your springs, or maybe consider adding another spring. If no, you could probably remove a leaf for a slightly softer ride. If you want lower, consider blocks and u-bolts.

More then likely I wont move them change them out I already have 2 inch blocks on the rear.

I was curious to why most people. Change them with differ trucks or turn them upside down ... If I where to change them with a differ older nissan truck the out come would be the same of different ?

As stated leaf springs are changed to either raise/lower the ride height or to increase the load carrying without overly sagging them. Or both.

Springs come with different arch or bend in them. So the same spring with a big arch will hold the body higher than one that is flatter, but will carry the same weight and ride the same. Springs are stacked with longer on top and progressing to smaller length below them. This allows a somewhat soft ride for average driving but with increasing stiffness as a load is placed on them.

Removing a spring simply to lower the vehicle is just wrong two ways. First the ground clearance is reduced but worse the reduced spring rate allows the body to sag further down on dips in the road greatly increasing the chance of bottoming out. Second, the rear axle is held in position and prevented from shifting sideways solely by the stacked leaf springs. A single leaf spring will warp under side loading on turns and the axle will shift over possibly grinding the tires into the frame or worse. At the very minimum a lowered vehicle should keep the same spring rate.... better would be to increase it.