I'm a weber MORON!! HELP!

fisch

EDIT- False alarm fellahs, I am an idiot. (See post #5)

You guys know I don't know squat about squat. So i finally gone the nerve to put on my Weber 32/36 manual choke. I searched for info but I am guessing this is so moronic, no one has brought it up. I've never messed w/ a carb before!

It was running before this on the stock unit, but not that smoothly (dirty old carb I'd guess.). So I am thinking it has to be something I havent adjusted in the carb.

This was already jetted for a 521 by the prior owner. Top butterflies open and close like the should using choke or pedal. And I hooked up the vac advance line. I think it is installet correctly.

When I first put the Weber on it reved like it was going to launch into space! So I loosened the throttle cable (Still has full range of motion) and moved out the idle screw.

Now when I choke it it runs for 2 seconds and dies. If I try to back the choke off it dies. If I try to just use the pedal it does nothing.

Where do i start?

I have to get this inspected on monday, so please shoot me some moronic advise my way!!!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These settings worked for my L16 620.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=3393

you will have to scroll a little but look where I mention the weber. I would suggest getting a couple of different sized idle jets (50-60) and try there first, then go to your main and secondary jets (145-165). Start high and step down in jet size till it runs smooth.

see if that helps.:D

Update. I followed these instructions I found on the web to set a starting point for the idle screw. But the truck won't start and it says not to choke it.

"(1) The Weber DGV/DGAV idle speed screw should be adjusted to its "preliminary" set point before adjusting the idle mixture. To set the idle speed screw, follow these steps:

(2) Back "out" the idle speed screw until the tip of the screw no longer touches the throttle lever. Then slowly turn the screw in until it just comes in contact with the throttle lever.

(3) From the "contact" position, turn the idle speed screw "in" one (1) full turn.

(4) If a tachometer is available, install it prior to starting the engine. If a tachometer is not available set idle mixture 'by ear".

(5) Start engine. Be sure the choke is not engaged. Proceed to adjust the idle mixture.

(6) Turn the idle mixture screw "in" clockwise until the engine's RPM begins to fluctuate on the tachometer. (If adjusting by ear, until a noticeable drop in speed is heard).

(7) Back "out" (counterclockwise) the idle mixture screw slowly until the engine idle becomes steady. Try to obtain the leannest setting without affecting the idle spped. If necessary, repeat steps 6 and 7 until the best setting is achieved.

(8) Once the idle mixture is set, fine tune the engine's idle speed. If necessary, by adjusting the idle speed screw (Note: Turning "in" (clockwise), the idle speed screw will increase engine speed. Turning "out" (counterclockwise), the idle speed screw will decrease the engine speed).

(9) If idle speed is reset, go back and repeat steps 6 and 7."

These settings worked for my L16 620.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=3393

you will have to scroll a little but look where I mention the weber. I would suggest getting a couple of different sized idle jets (50-60) and try there first, then go to your main and secondary jets (145-165). Start high and step down in jet size till it runs smooth.

see if that helps.:D

Thanks Phleb, but I don't even know which are the primary secondary and idle jets. I am a weber moron!

Time to break out the hainz DVD...

Uhhhhh... it was out of gas!

I get teh ratsun dumbass award for the next year!!!!!

It is such a sweet smooth idle right now I can't believe it!!!!!

I love it.

Real knowledge, the kind that comes from experience, is the best kind. You need three things, fuel, compression and spark. To know that intellectually is one thing, but to have a functional knowledge only comes through experience.

I seriously doubt that you are a moron or and idiot. You may be ignorant, uneducated or inexperienced but you don't come across as stupid.

I does feel really great when you can make these old trucks run well again. In one sense, there is a limited amount on information needed to pull maintenance on them. At some point you will look in the engine compartment and know about every single thing because you have gone through it.

Oh yeah, good job on the pinstripe work.

Oh yeah, good job on the pinstripe work.

Thanks! Yeah I have run it so little that I have only been putting small amounts of gas in there. Of course when I pulled it out of the garage to put in the weber, it was running, so when the weber didn't work my mind switched that "There must be something terribly wrong, why didn't i leave well enough alone!" mode, rather than the more logical, "uhh did you check the gas."

I am a silly man. But the the relief at it working overrides the embarassment!