Lower Control Arm Bushing Advice

So I am in the process of replacing the control arm bushings. I bought a set of Prothane bushings about a year ago in anticipation of the overhaul. The only problem is that the bushings don't bit in the LCAs. It appears that if I remove the inner metal sleeve in the photos that the bushing will go in. I did some searching and I found one thread on the realm showing someone hacking out that inner sleeve: http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9365. They had the same question.

Two questions: Is this normal with bushings from prothane or energy suspension? Is the method on the realm the best way to get this done?

I just don't want to screw up my control arms, and I want some advice from people who have done this. Thanks

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to remove the metal sleeve to get new bushings in.I cut a groove in the steel sleeve(carefully)so i didnt screw up the control arm.Then peeled it out with screwdriver.I tried heat,wd-40,a press,and more heat.Those sleeves would not budge.

The metal sleeve is the outer part of the origional rubber bushings, at least the ones i took out of my car. If you are puting adjuatable tc rods you need use rubber bushings or get adjustble lcas, the poly bushings will bind and fail eventually.

I have cut several (ruined) LCA's apart to examine the design and look for the 'sleeve' All the LCA's I inspected did not have them... However they were most likely from 70-73' 510's so I can't vouch for all years. So when I replaced my bushings, I decided to reduce the bushing size. I chucked them up in a drill press and sanded them down. You can see the technique near the bottom on my build thread: http://community.rat...ss/page__st__40 I used the poly bushings for several years now and they are still in great shape with no problems, I'm hard as shit on my car too!