I've got the motor, I've got the shell...

So I'm thinking about throwing a rotary in one of my spare 280z's, yeah I know some people aren't a fan of rotaries and will likely say there unreliable, and then someone will say "why swap that when you can swap this." Someone else is bound to say "its not better its just different, stick with the L type or use a (insert turbo 4 cylinder here)." Honestly the only reason I'm considering this is because my brother has 3 12a's lying around, 2 of them I'm sure run. I like rotaries, just a different feel I get when I'm driving my rx in comparison to my other cars. I know someone has already fitted a z with a 13b but I'd like to stay away from fuel injection if I'm swapping anything, hell of a lot less wiring. and honestly the stock 12a's are about as short if not shorter then most 4 cylinders I've seen. the motor is so small that I'm sure mouting and even getting it behind the front axle would be cake, but won't know until mock up. Haven't decided if this is the route I wanna go yet, its just one of the many turns I could take, I've got the luxury of having a 4g63, sbc 305, sbc350, 12a, and a 3.4l v6 to choose from. Now I hate the v8 swaps simply because I hate hearing douche say "just toss a v8 in it" everyone who says that isn't always a douche, but alot of them are. Then you've got people who think the extra works pointless and say to just build up the L series. honestly putting the rotary in there could make it lighter, and possibly hand better, and vice versa, but really, I'd only be doing it for the opportunity and just to be different, not gonna waste time justifying a swap, its simply cause I want it to be different. and before anyone mentions it, I know they make a 4 barrel intake for the 13b's, but i have 12a's lying around.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could always combine 2 12A's and be the datto rotary master :ninja:

believe it or not I've considered this, but if I did that, I'm not sure if I could keep from putting it in my 87 rx7. technically if I got 3 12a's and mated them all together still have an inline six right? sorta.....

90HP but imagine what you're gonna make at the wheels. Maybe 60? And no torque what so ever.

It would be cool as hell, but it would cost a lot of $$$ just to make it compete with the L28.

well its was more like 90 hp to the wheels on stock 1st gen rx7's, and I imagine if I had a header, had my brother do the same nikki mod he did to his carb to it, it would be serious competition.

well its was more like 90 hp to the wheels on stock 1st gen rx7's, and I image if I had a header, had my brother do the same nikki mod hid to to his carb to it, it would be competition.

Hell, while it's out of the car might was well rebuild it and do a nice bridge port or peripheral port. Nothing better then a sound of a ported rotary!

not that thats a bad idea, but I've have no clue what I'd be doing when i sealed the stock port and made a bigger one, and I don't have the cash for someone else to do it, also, no shop in albuquerque will even touch a rotary. And that motor scares me.

I want a 20b, seriousy ,but I haven't got $4000, and to be honest, the only thing I'm seeing that I like about that blue 20b car, is the motor, those tail lights, and wheels can suck it.

here's what I'm thinking if I were to go with a 12a, nikki carb (home built, there actually not all that hard to build.), quad piped exhaust, some port work, not an all out bridgeport, I'm aiming for 300hp, my brother says a bridgeport or peripheral port is over kill. and is also against cross breeding, but lots of rotary guys I know are like that.

You dont close any ports to ad a perph port, its another port added to the inside of the side seal pathe, not worth it, bridge port is the same thing.

Just egg it out like you would an intake, I got my port templete from kurt robinson and it turns out he just copied a combanation of atkins and pinapples ports for the big teardrop.

If you run a header remove the exaust sleave, you can make the exaust ports alot taller, but dont go much wider or it will eat seals.

12a,s are fun but not ideal. To much maintanence.