Replaced timing chain and some gaskets and I can't get my L18 started again

got the firing order fixed and it started right up. still rough though. the valves make a little noise I think there's too much valve lash. also the spark timing seems a lot late with not enough adjustment in the distributor so I'll have to move it a tooth to get the right range of adjustment on the distributor and I should be back on the road.

thanks guys. I knew it would be some stupid user error

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so I've got it running now but it runs awful...there seems to be huge amounts of vibrations from the engine and it is nowhere near as smooth as it was before. it hesitates on start up and when I raise the revs. improvements from before is really that it can now idle without my help.

a good amount of oil smoke is coming from the fitting on the valve cover and the crank case recirculation pipe. neither of which have anything on them currently but never did before.

I tried running it at 2k rpms for a while. did about 10 min before it started acting weird. revs seemed to be raising and lowering without me moving my foot (maybe it was just getting smoother and rougher my tach wiring needs to be cleaned up because te needles jumping all over the place) so I let off the gas to let it idle and there was almost a squeaking sound from the engine.

I can take a video of it I just wanted to check to see If it sounded like anything horrible that I need to fix before I start the engine again

If you went from a regrind to a stock cam you may have the wrong lash pads in, I went through something similar to what you are going through now.

Check list:

Wipe pattern on your rockers should be centered

Lash should be set .008" intake .010" exhaust (cold)

Mechanical timing should be set so your v notch lines up (looks like yours is correct)

Ignition timing should be set correctly

tuned carb

having your firing order correct 1342 as they said above, just make sure where your #1 position is

new plugs if yours are fowling

With a a diff grind cam your carb settings may be off.

do you have oil?

Should take a few hours to do all that (unless you check every rocker wipe {1 exh and 1 int should be all you need to check to know if there is something wrong though}).

everything on that list other than the carb and the wipe pattern have been done. I'll check the wipe pattern probly tomorrow and go from there. at this time I'm thinking about having a new peg pressed into the reground cam so I can throw it back in rather than getting new lash pads (if the wipe pattern is off centered that is)

wipe pattern came up off centered. I got the pin reset in the reground cam and put it back in but there's still a really bad sound coming from the engine. hard to describe so here

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/jgong9609/5c1163df.mp4

anybody know what could possibly make that sound?