Wat 5sp bolts rigght up

I have a 73 620 with a L18 4speed. I'd like to put a 5speed in . But dnt want to have to mess with changing anything else. Wat cars or trucks work? I know there's. Part numbers on trans that tell u what they r right?? Where is it located and how do I know what the numbers mean. Help me :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Without changing anything else".

Then you're stuck. Any 5-speed will require changing at least one other thing. The transmission crossmember has to have some changes/mods no matter what you do, though it's not as extensive as what it takes to do the swap in a 510.

Most transmissions don't have part numbers on them. They have partial IDs that may or may not be unique.

Check the build date on the drivers door jam. If built from October '73 it should have the F4W71B 4 speed in it along with the L18. Another check is to measure the length of the tranny. If it's close to 31.5" then you should be able to fit a later optional 620 FS5W71B5 speed in.

The 620 cross member and rear mounts are the same for all automatic, 4 and 5 speeds after Oct '73. Use your release bearing carrier or sleeve you have now. You can also swap your 4 speed speedometer drive pinion into the new 5 speed if you don't know what it came out of, to keep your speedo accurate. You can use either 4 or 5 speed shifter.

L series FS5W71B (5 spds.) that will (drop in) fit.

'77-'79 620 truck

'77-'78 280z

'79-'83 non turbo 280zx

'79-'84 810/Maxima

'80 720 (2wd) truck

If built before Oct '73 it should have an L16 (yours could have been swapped to L18 I guess) and a much shorter F4W63L 4 spd. If it measures about 26" then this is the case and there is no 'drop in' 5 speed although the '77-'79 200sx FS5W63A dogleg 5 speed is the easiest. It's the same length as the 4 speed but the rear transmission mount will need to be modified. Your speedo pinion from the F4W63L can be swapped into the dogleg to keep your truck speedometer accurate.