engine temps

bonvo

just wondering what temp range everyone is running in ive noticed that when my temp gauge is in the middle im at about 170 lately the temps have been hitting about 3/4 of a gauge im hooking up an after market temp gauge so i can see what its at when its running just curious what is the high point where it becomes to hot

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran a 190* thermostat on a stock 71 510 L16 reccomended by the shop manual ..... ... and a 170* on a stock 79 510 L20b

the L20 had a 2 core radiator,,,,, and one time went above 220*(that was WAY too hot) ..... but normally never went over 195*

Standard for the L20B is 180 opening of the thermostat. The thermostat opens fully to 8mm at 203 F. This tells me that normal is no lower than 180 F (probably high 180s) I've had stuck open or partly open thermostats and when replaced the motor always ran better when hot.

Yeah, Im rocking the 190* and its been doing great. I really dont pay attention to the position of the gauge (about 3/4) for temperature. I really could not care less... What I look for is consistency. Its a 40yr old gauge, who knows what temp its actually reading. I just make sure that its in the same spot while I drive.

yeah this temp gauge has kinda bounced around since i replaced the sender its just moving more then it used to and before i drive ti to canby i want to be sure its not going to over heat

fuel gauge is fine it could be a stuck thermostat as well it didnt do this untill i flushed to water out of it and replaced with coolant i also need to do an oil change that could be contributing as well im just hoping it isnt something like the water pump dieing or the radiator plugging up i dont have the cash to fix those issues at the moment

well there is the possability im stressing over nothing temps could be a little higher then im used to but could still be in the acceptable range have to see tomorrow once my aftermarket temp gauge is hooked up

well its official the sender for my stock gauge is on drugs after i hooked up the autometer gauge i compared it to a thermometer in the coolent and it matched so i know its accurate well while my factory gauge is nearly pegged at hot the autometer never went past 185