lil hustler project.

subedats

well i have decided what to do in my truck. with the help of ztrain(bill) i have found a shop to build my L20B. so here is the start of the project starting with the motor pull. oh and i have a cupple of questions..

can i remove these things..What are they i looked in my manuel and found out what they are but what do they do?

0505081405.jpg

0505081655.jpg

0505081720.jpg

0505081720a.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

het box thats on the inner fender looks like a mileage or timer to keep track of trk use. It should have a little window w/#'s at het top, under the rubber plug is a reset screw i think.

I got one, and I've seen 2 more on late 620s. Not sure about the others ur asking about. :confused:

The counter is the EGR counter... supposed to turn on the EGR light every 30,000 miles or something like that. Was a US EPA requirememnt back in the mid 70s, and only was on '75-77 trucks.

The relay is the the choke heater relay. However I recall it operates more than just the choke heater (or maybe that's how it's fed... it and the voltage regulator/alternator are cross connected).

The bigger box is the voltage regulator, for non-internally regulated alternators.

so basically the egr counter is the only one i can do without? and also what about the charcoal cannister? I have read that I can remove it and also that I cant.. because it helpes keep the fumes down..I guess its just to my preference?

You can remove what you want but easiest to just leave it. After shut off gas will 'boil' in your carb and there is a vent from the gas tank too. The charcoal cannister 'collects' these smelly fumes. The cannister has no effect on engine running.

As long as the alternator is charging, (goes to regulator too) the choke relay is on. The choke relay on, sends a signal to the detector counter for the ERG.

• 2 weeks later...

well update time. my motor is being built now and the 5 speed on the way. should have that back in the week after next. oh and I got a griffin radiator and a flex- a- lite electric fan (thank you fineline for the help) that should be here on wednesday or thursday next week. im going to start stripping the paint in the engine bay tomorrow. so probably I will spray it sometime next week also. thats it for now i'll post some pictures of the stripped engine bay tomorrow and the new carpet. hopefully i can get it done tomorrow