newer motor for my l320

damnsun

am looking for a newer motor to go in my truck i having problem finding parts in Utah

i am a dietetic and my eyesight is going so was looking for something that would fix in

the truck before my eyesight goes i was going for a rotary but people want way to much for just the block

anyways thanks for checking out this post and one more question what are the stock tires for the l 320

my speed meter is 10 mph off or there some way of fixing this anyways thanks guys

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was eventually planning on selling my J13. Was going to keep it just in case my E1 that's rebuilt blew up or some other horrible catastrophe. It was running fine before I took it out. Has an aftermarket carb on it that I'm told is better performing, easier to work with. I know the choke was never hooked up because it was never needed.

starting at 33k according to the site!

interested in hearing more about the j series implants...content with my stocko beast at the moment but i know myself too well and will end up wanting more! are they hard to come by?

my speed meter is 10 mph off or there some way of fixing this

If it is off by a fixed 10mph (60 reads 70, 30 reads 40). move the needle

But if it is off by a percentage (60 reads 70, 30 reads 35)

1. Use different size tires

or

2. Use different speedometer cog in the transmission

or

3. Use speedometer gear ratio adapter

Might I suggest you put a 210/B210 A14/15 engine in your 320, they have automatics for them as well as 4 & 5 speeds, and they are about the correct size for the engine compartment, and are easy to get parts for.

DSCF0018.jpg

This is a 65 datsun 320 with an A15/5 spd; I put it in myself, it was my second conversion, and it drove good till a kid hit me head on in it.

There are some hard to find upgrades to soup it up, but the A block is a very good engine with decent MPG.

If you could find a decent J15, it is basicly a bolt in if you have the correct parts, engine to frame mount parts, and the transmission adapter plate.

The L block is a very tight fit, otherwise everyone would be doing it, and there are some issues to deal with, I have never seen what oilpan is used, or if the stock one needs modified, and as ggzilla just mentioned, there are heater core outlet issues, I personally like having heat and more importantly, a defroster.

BTW ggzilla, the wiper transmission is in the cab of the 320s, maybe your thinking of the 411s.

I am sure there are other great engines that will fit the 320 also, I just have not seen them yet to have an opinion, although that LD20 diesel has caught my attention.

You can make almost anything fit in there given enough time, skills, and money, but the easiest would be the J block, followed by the A series blocks, but this is my opinion.