78 620 kc bagged and boddied motor suggestions

Just like the title says looking for motor ideas. The truck Is a 78. Had a 5 speed and a L20b before I got it.

But when I picked up the truck there was no motor or trans.

I have a 1980 720 that has a 5 speed and a L20b but the motor is no good. I'm planning on running the 5 speed In my 620 but I'm having issues finding a decent L20b to run in the truck

A couple of concerns is being that it is bagged and body droped is motor clearance with my stock hood. Any one have maybe a simple motor swap that will still have a low profile like the L20b? Or anybody have one they want to part with. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ka swap. Is it a fairly easy swap? With it body droped everything is pretty tight fit. I have no firewall in it right now waiting to see what route I'm going to go.

With that swap can I still use the 5 speed trans out of my 1980 720 parts truck?

What is the best motor choice for the swap? Year? 2wd or 4wd?

Also what parts do I need to be sure to get for the Ka swap?

Thanks for your help

Ka swap. Is it a fairly easy swap? With it body droped everything is pretty tight fit. I have no firewall in it right now waiting to see what route I'm going to go.

If your doing the bag and body drop work, the KA would be cake.

With that swap can I still use the 5 speed trans out of my 1980 720 parts truck?

If it is behind and L20 no, you will want a 5-speed from behind the NAPZ motor to get the correct shifter lean.

What is the best motor choice for the swap? Year? 2wd or 4wd?

I used a 240SX twin cam. I belive the 2wd single cam is a bit easie to fit.

Also what parts do I need to be sure to get for the Ka swap?

Motor with all sensors, wiring harness and ECU

Thanks for your help

No problem, I have one more set of mounts to swap the KA in. Would save you a bit of fab time, but as I said...if your fabbing all that other stuff motor mounts are easy.

My build thread in my sig shows all the issues I had with my swap. :)