Quick R160 questions.

MYTE_510

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did some more searching after posting this and found some good info. I just can't seem to find anyone saying how it's done. Anyone have any experience in this area? It looks like there is a single nut on the input side where it is leaking from but I'm thinking there has to be more to it than just that.....

You should drain the gear oil so now is a good time to change it. GL-5 80-90W

Driveshaft off, mark location so it goes back in same position. You would need to lock the diff from turning... perhaps block the wheels and have the brakes applied. Loosen drive pinion nut. (its old and was installed with over 100 ft lbs of torque so be ready. Mark the pinion to flange relationship and use a puller and remove the companion flange. (thing with four bolt holes the drive shaft mounts to) The pinion has been carefully mounted and torqued down with crush washers and shims so avoid hitting it and disrupting these.

Now you should be able to see and get at the pinion seal. I doubt you will be able to easily pry the seal out with the pinion still in, so drill a couple of small holes in the seal and tighten in suitable wood screws. Use vice grips to pull the seal out. Grease the rubber seal lips and Install the new one using a block of wood and hammer. (don't hit the pinion threads) Instal the companion flange and nut. Tighten to 123 to 145 ft lbs.

• Like 1

i got the old seal out and i have no idea what part i need. ive taken it into orileys and they tried finding the part number but they didnt get anything to come up. i dont know what the rear end is out of exactly so thats no help there. the picture of the seal they pull up is not the seal i took out of the rear end.

the # i got off the seal was NOK AH2134E. NOK being the brand from what ive read but even when i try to find the PN on the seal it comes up with nothing.

If anyone has any Ideas i would appreciate it.

thats actually the link i based my guess off of and when i had orileys pull up the makes and models all the pinion seals looked different than the one i pulled out. ill have them try the nissan number tomorrow and see what they come up with. thanks a ton mike you are helping me a lot.

the hardest part is that i did not actually installing the diff my self i know nothing about where it actually came from or what it came out of.

Nissan used to own part of Fuji Heavy Industries along with Toyota and Subaru. This is why 70s Toyota 4 piston front calipers bolt right onto the Z car and a 90s Subi diff fits a 20 year older Datsun. Great isn't it?

so either im not doing something right or my parts store sucks... could be both. but i cant get this part for the life of me.... they submitted an inquiry for the part number i gave them but they still havent gotten anything back on it.

that rock auto link doesnt really help me either cause it doesnt show any products. ive looked over rock auto many of times and all the seals they have pictured are not the ones i need. i dont know what im doing wrong..... do i need to go to a nissan dealership?

http://www.rockauto.....php?pk=1119461

i think this is what im going with. i just took my measurements and this is the only one they had listed for all the models the rear end came in and its pretty close to what i came up with so we will see.

....... but im not getting it from rock auto,,,,, the part is $8 and they want to charge $13 for ground shipping... how does that work??? its a tiny seal............