New to Ratsun... Sort of

seanb

Well, here's my project. I've been lurking around these forums for a while and decided to post up my Bullet-side. Planning a custom build to include a stock-floor bodydrop, custom bodywork, and hopefully a show truck. Took me a long time to find a King-cab and this one made its way all the way from LA to GA. Glad to be here. As you can see, I've really got my work cut out for me.

datsun_project.jpg

datsun_find_1.jpg

datsun_find_2.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to meet some fellow GA Datsun owners. Just got some goodies from Partstrain via fedex Monday! Looked like King Kong mangled the box before it arrived. But I'm getting stoked about reviving the 'ole Bullet-side. Heading to Maggie Valley, NC for The Southeastern Minitruck Nationals this weekend. WooHoo!

Looks like a good starting point. I have worked with, and driven, worse. The worst issue I see is that passenger side dent in the bed and cab, but a good body man (or woman) can fix that no problem. Can't wait to see the end results!

more bagged and boddied 620's :thumbup: hope to get a pic of mine up on here soon and yes we did a 2.5 stock floor drop on it.

Quit being a slacker mel. I put a pic of mine on here. lol

I do think i will do a build log if there is any intrest? Still so up in th eair as to what motor to run? Wish I could find a running L20b on the cheapness somewhere within 400 milse of me?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as promised here's a few of the goodies I've been collecting for my project. Also got a hood... finally, a driver's fender finally, a cowl, a grill (to experiment with) and some peep mirrors. Also a couple of other things I don't want to show yet.

bumper_valance.jpg

pass_fender.jpg

• 2 months later...

Okay, I know this is a beat to death question (I've been searching and reading) but can someone point me toward the best engine for my 620 that will be low-profile? I'll be doing a bodydrop later this fall and I'm exploring what engines work best for this. I'm not afraid of cutting and modifying, not a traditionalist either. Will consider any make.

Thanks for the reply. Total pancake—I'm thinking about 3" of bodydrop will lay frame. I'm also going to be swapping the front clip to a mid 90s Toyota (if that makes any difference). Rear half will likely be all fabbed. I just wanted to try and avoid a cowl hood if at all possible and definitely not cutting a hole in the hood. I have an idea for a slight cowl but I don't like the look of the big ones.

• 2 months later...

Finally got the motor pulled for a swap. Found this ka but it turned out not to be a ka24e like I was originally told. It's a ka24i apparently and I don't know what all I can do or add to it. I want to run dual side draft carbs but I don't know what kind of manifold it will need. Also want as few wires and hoses as possible. Still researching the possibilities.

17085_3703573199972_1060571908_n.jpg

36631_3703576680059_2070695120_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! We finally got the motor set in just see how it's all going to fit. Looking for a 5-speed out of an early 720 to replace my automatic that came with the ka24e motor. I really want a manual transmission. Got a custom manifold already and some dual Mikuni carbs are on the way. Ditching all the electronic stuff because I want a super clean engine bay.

I'll try to get some better pics up soon. The stock trans does bolt up but as said, it has lean to it. I mainly wanted to get it set in so the guys who'll do the bodydrop will have something to work around. And I get to see how it's fitting somewhat.