Edz 78 280z

Figured I'd start a project thread for the new Z. Specs are as follow.

1978 Datsun 280z with an automatic transmission. 98,000 original miles. Original (albeit faded) black pearl paint. Seems to have the optional sport package which leads me to believe this may be a Black Pearl Edition car. The package includes the black paint, special pinstriping (most of which is still there), dual "racing" mirrors, and rear deck louvers. Also came with alloy wheels, but those appear to have been replaced by American Racing meshies. At first glance I thought they were Appliance wheels but noticed one of the center caps still had the A/R logo on it. I've already replaced the headlights with Sylvania Silverstars (highly recommended!). I forgot how much of a pain installing the headlights on these cars is, but it gave me a chance to take the inner fenders out to see how the rust situation was. On inspection it seems that this car was treated to an aftermarket undercoating. Even has a sticker on the quarter glass which says "Super Undercoating". I'll try to get more photo's, but since I don't have a camera just yet it may be awhile.

The driver's fender had a pretty decent dent in it as a result of a tree branch, so while the inner fender was out I popped the dent out as best I could. It's still noticable, but looks much better than it did. The only rust I've found on the car is right above the frame rail where the tension rod attaches on what I have always described as the factory "patch". If you've owned one of these cars, you probably know where I mean. It only seems to be surface rust, so I'll probably end up grinding some away and re-undercoat it. The battery tray checked out good as did the area under the hatch. The floorboards look good and under the carpet looks practically brand new. Frame rails are straight and un-molested from bottoming out or ill planned lifting of the car.

Things to do so far are front struts as the ones currently on the car were creaking when I first got it, and since jacking up the car for access, have completely went away. Also need to address the brakes as they seem to be a little too hard. I'm thinking that since this car sat for quite awhile, the calipers are probably a little froze. Let's just say that they stop the car, but don't inspire the greatest of confidence. Also going to do plugs and wires as the cap and rotor look farely new. Also the heater core has been bypassed so it probably had a leak tho more than likely it's the hoses on the heater valve. Looks to have fairly new heater hoses and radiator hoses, and they still have the Nissan parts tags still on them...kinda cool.

Like I said, my wife took the camera when we separated so it may be awhile for pics, but here's a couple I do have for your enjoyment....

2801stday-1.jpg

2801stday.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda gonna stay stock with the motor on this one..maybe a header and exhaust. The main focus is going to be suspension and brakes. I'm looking hard at TechnoToyTuning and Arizona Z Car stuff. I want it low but drivable and to stick like glue. I'm thinking about 240 bumpers an airdam and the bre rear spoiler for the exterior along with my 16" Enkei 92's.

I'm kinda gonna stay stock with the motor on this one..maybe a header and exhaust. The main focus is going to be suspension and brakes. I'm looking hard at TechnoToyTuning and Arizona Z Car stuff. I want it low but drivable and to stick like glue. I'm thinking about 240 bumpers an airdam and the bre rear spoiler for the exterior along with my 16" Enkei 92's.

+1 these plans sound great, can't waitto see the progress on this

• 4 weeks later...

Little update! Went thru the back brakes and found out that everything was pretty new looking, they had just locked up from sitting. So I cleaned them up and greased the pivot points...work much better now. Did the plugs, wires, and fuel filter and runs pretty good now. Got a new tps to still put in. Cleaned up the interior...still amazed at how clean this thing is. Just needs a dash cover and the headliner re-cemented.

Decided that since I sold the 81 that it would go with the 14's and I'd stick the 16's on this one. Got them mounted up today and found out I'm gonna have to roll the rear lip...especially if I lower it. It rubs on really big bumps right now. Anywho... heres some pics for ya guys...sorry for the crappy quality.....

Image0-2.jpg

Image01.jpg