Automatic datsun 510 problems....

I have a 68 datsun 510, automatic trans that went out (car number 567). I replaced the transmission but....

I am having problems plugging in the inhibitor switch correctly. my wiring harness that goes to the inhibitor switch is quite confusing, the colors of wires I have are black, black, blue, blue,. Yet in all the manuals I have the colors should be black yellow, black yellow, red black, red black (the new trans. inhibitor wires match up to manuals). I have tried multiple combinations without any luck. My starter still fails to work. The car ran good when I removed the old tranmission. Note: I also have some sort of switch on the other side of the new trans, it has two black wires. My guess is this is the nuetral switch?(This makes 6 possible connections to the transmission, yet I only have 4 wires to connect, so confusing) I have no experience when it comes to auto trans. for 510's this is my first automatic out of 10 I have owned. My question would be how should I proceed? is there a way to bypass the inhibitor switch or is this not a good idea?

My only guess would be that this 510 is so old that the wiring colors dont match what most manuals have for diagrams. I even tried a brittish manual with no luck =(. can anyone help a fellow 510 lover out here =)

Thanks in advance, Dz

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't say but is the replacement trans an exact match?

The inhibitor just prevents starting it in gear. Trust me it's a hell of a surprise starting it and it jumps ahead and you're off!!!

Just get in the habit of putting it in PARK and the parking brake on.

The two wires 'on the other side' are likely the kick down switch. There might be a switch connected to the gas peddle above your toes that signals full throttle and the trans needs this to force a down shift. It makes a notifiable CLICK when you press the gas all the way down.

Are you sure you got a British Borg Warner or the later American Muncie Indiana unit with the British bell housing? The tip off is the mechanical downshift cable on the British unit in lieu of a vacuum modulator on the Muncie unit.

By the way, the other 2 wires are most likely the backup light switch. The starter interlock has 4 wires to accomodate starting in either neutral or park position.

Are you sure you got a British Borg Warner or the later American Muncie Indiana unit with the British bell housing? The tip off is the mechanical downshift cable on the British unit in lieu of a vacuum modulator on the Muncie unit.

By the way, the other 2 wires are most likely the backup light switch. The starter interlock has 4 wires to accomodate starting in either neutral or park position.

My question exactly. I want to think the '68 510 had a B/W unit from the factory, and the later 510s I know had the Jatco Transmission. The way to tell if you have a later transmission is that the side of the transmission will have '3N71B' on it. If what you are saying is true, that the wire colors match the manual, I will place my bets that you have a later Jatco-made automatic transmission.

As for the wiring for the neutral safety switch and backup lights is to put it in park (linkage all the way "up") and check the continuity at the switch (the switch is at the end of the linkage) (you should have no resistance). Then, move it two clicks back and check continuity again (you should have no resistance again). Those two wires (same color) will be for the safety switch. Move the linkage up one click and check the continuity of the other pair of wires. If there is continuity, then that pair is for the reverse switch. Good Luck!

Thanks for the responses so far. Worked all day today so I shall be spending my day on it tomorrow =). To answer a few questions: No the transmissions are not an exact match. I went from a steering column auto trans linkage to a floor shift auto linkage =(. I couldnt find a trans that would match mine (was looking for over a year and gave up) The difference that I have noticed besides the problems with the wires that im having is...the shift lever is on the opisite side it should be on and the transmission pan is smaller on the new one I have (No real difference there) Also the inhibitor switch is on the passenger side of the new trans and its on the driver side on the old one. Then of course there is the difference of 6 wires and on the old one there was only 4. The only thing left on the plackard on the side of the old trans is the number 8885 all other info is gone from the plackard. A few things I have done thus far is I found out what wire comes from the ignition switch (the only one with power when the key is on of course). The other wires I'm not so sure of yet. On the diagrams I have it shows 1 wire going to the voltage regulator, 1 to the backup lights, 1 to the ignition, and 1 to the starter, I am concerned if I hook them up wrong I could end up frying my voltage regulator.

edit- my attempts to buypass the switch was an utter fail. I got as close as hearing the starter switch click but no starter action (the switch on the inner fender) still no starter action =( . I'll probs have more luck in the daylight. Not loving the auto datsun atm.

More edits--oh yeah, the old one had a downshift cable and the new one has a vacuum unit. spot on good sir. Does this make it more of an issue?