Can't get into gear while running...

So, I haven't driven my 521 in a couple years. When it flooded, the water did get pretty high, quite possibly reaching the clutch.

I went and tagged it today, and started it up. When I pushed the clutch pedal down, it felt like it should.. went to shift, and it wouldn't go into gear. I pushed a little harder, and it started creeping forward on it's own(with the clutch depressed). I backed off, let it sit in neutral, and shut her down. While parked and not running, the trans shifted smoothly through all gears. I checked the fluid, good. Clutch reservoir was full. Checked the slave movement, it's moving just like it should: The rod pushes the fork so far back that it can't go back any further(hits the transmission housing), so I know that the hydraulics are working. Adjusted all the linkages, no effect.

Could it be possible that the clutch disc is rusted to the pressure plate? So that when the T/O bearing presses the fingers, the pressure plate won't disengage? I'm having a tough time figuring this out.. by all rights, it should be disengaging. Anybody run into this before?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, very possible the disc is stuck to the flywheel or the PP side. The pressure plate may be working perfectly but with it 'glued to one of them that's a problem. Don't try to force into gear this just makes the synchros try to do the job of the clutch and will fry them.

Try this:

Leave in neutral running and depress the clutch and side step the peddle so it slams up. Try that several times and maybe the PP slamming against the disc or the disc slamming against the flywheel will slowly rattle it loose. I guess the motor doesn't have to be running I just figured the extra vibration would help. Warm up the motor so the flywheel is warm too, might help.

Start in first gear with starter (pick a deserted spot so no one is in the way. Don't forget that to stop you will have to stall the motor). Hold clutch peddle down and accelerate hard followed by foot suddenly off the gas... on off, on off, on off. Peddle has to be down so that the only thing holding is the rust and it might break away from this.

Yes, as Mike said, it's more than likely rusted on. My 520 clutch was stuck for about a year, I did the "start in 1st gear" thing. Works a lot better if on a slight downhill grade so the starter doesn't have to work so hard. It took 2 tries for mine. I ran out of yard before it broke loose the 1st try.

Just make sure your brakes work first. I didn't. I lost a hogwire fence gate and my fog lights because of that.

Thanks for the help guys. Tried all the methods suggested, but to no avail. I removed the trans last night...

Photo2237.jpg

After I slid the trans back, everything looked ok. Nothing was damaged, the pressure plate fingers weren't broken, bent, or missing... and then I unbolted it...

Photo2238.jpg

TA DAAA!! Just as I thought. It was stuck to the Pressure Plate. I slid it back and they both came off together. Here's another picture of me holding it upside down(my thumb isn't holding the clutch disc on, even though it looks like it).

Photo2239.jpg

Using a dental pick, I peeled the clutch disc off of the Pressure Plate. No damage done, so I Scotch Brite'd the flywheel and pressure plate, and reassembled. Fired her up, and now she's obeying my left foot's every command. :)