Z22 DISTRIBUTOR ON A L20B MOTOR

DATSUN671

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so. The dual plugs fire together so pick either the Intake or Exhaust side wires and run them. The cap will have every other plug empty and you only need one coil but it should work. The EI module is inside the dizzy below the rotor.

Im not a expert on Z series motors.

If your using the Z dizzy cause thats whats on the island. and hard to get other datsun parts its not big deal.

But if your more performance minded maybe the advance curvse are different.

I dont know the specs on the timming of the Z motor compared to the L series. But the Z series was more emission based and might have run closer to 5 deg while the early L series we like to run more advance right before it pings.

Maybe DatzenMike ,GGzilla. HRH or Datsunahilic might have a better idea on this.

I dont know the specs on the timming of the Z motor compared to the L series. But the Z series was more emission based and might have run closer to 5 deg while the early L series we like to run more advance right before it pings.

Maybe DatzenMike ,GGzilla. HRH or Datsunahilic might have a better idea on this.

Yes.....The Z motor is timed to 3-5 degrees...because the exhaust plugs are also firing

Not sure of the curves between the 2....but.... I could't tell the difference...performance wise

3-5 degrees is the static adjustable timing at idle. The vacuum and mechanical advance those are the unknowns.

The Z motors run on two plugs per cylinder. Because there are two ignition sources the fuel air burns faster so it can be timed much later than an L series. The usual static timing advance for a Z series motor is 3-5 degrees. (L series is 12)

Z24 mechanical advance on an '84 non California motor

0 @ 650 RPM (idle)

7 @ 1,350 RPM

9.5 @ 2,100 RPM.

L20B mechanical advance on a non California '78 truck motor

0 @ 600 RPM (idle)

11 @ 950

You can see that the L series mechanical advance comes in much quicker than the Z series.