hardbody coil question

bonvo

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Polarity doesn't mater if just getting it to work. The difference is the spark will either jump from the head to the center electrode or from the center electrode to the head. The proper direction is from the plug to the head. The spark tends to like jumping to a cooler surface so from a cool head surface to the hot tip plug will require more voltage then really necessary than if you were to reverse the leads and run the spark to ground.

To test which way the spark is really jumping pull the coil high tension lead from the dizzy cap and hold close to a grounded surface. Place a lead pencil between the lead and the ground surface. (I wouldn't hold onto the pencil) Crank the motor over and direct the spark so that it hits and passes through the pencil lead to get to ground. If properly wired and the polarity is correct the spark will appear brighter between the pencil lead and the ground surface. If the slash is brighter between the coil wire and the pencil lead it's wired backwards.

07-06-09_1502.jpg

what exactly am i looking at here izzo cant really tell which color is going where

mike im trying to get it right on the first try so i can wire my tach correctly if no one has the info then ill do that but if someone knows i can just wire it up

The tach won't know or care which way the coil is wired. The current flows through it one way or another. The tach should be connected between the dizzy (assume EI?) and the coil. The other side of the coil goes to the ignition 12v. It all depends which direction the windings go inside. The coils we all are used to have a common ground and are clearly marked + and -.

If the D-21 coil has a black wire I would assume this is the ground wire but ???

gotcha im removing conventional coil and just routing the wires from it to this coil my main concern is that the tach wiring says specifically to go to the negative side of the coil but from what your saying as long as its not connected to the side with ignition power im good?

Yes, tach must not be connected to the +12v side.

i have this coil

A4034D49-orig.jpg

anybody know which pole is positive and which is negetive? the pole on the left has a 2 next to it

3F95A584-orig.jpg

This part number is unique to the '92 and up Quest with VG30E motor. May have been swapped into the D-21.

so translation remove wires from negitive side of coil run them to one post run wires on positive side of current coil to other post make coil wire and start if it doesnt run good switch posts

well if its for a vg then it can run 6 cylinders so it should have no issue with my l20b maybe it came out of a quest dad has had it in his tool box in a box for a while he thought i came out of a hard body

right on thanks izzo now i dont have to buy a coil and since this is an hei coil ill be getting a hotter spark then i was with my 70s leftover lol my matchbox install will finally have a coil to compliment it canby crunch isnt so much of a crunch lol