Help! (transmission trouble)

Rynoise

Just got this car back in November, and I love it! No major issues at all, until the other day it got stuck in 3rd gear. I pulled over in a parking lot and tried with all my might to get it out, and it wouldn't budge. Mine's a '79 with a 5-speed conversion. I'm guessing I need a new tranny, but where to look? I've been checking ebay and the local craigslist with no real luck.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that's to be expected with a 34 year old transmission. It's likely a shift dog has come out of position and it's is truly jammed. Normal wear can do this. Forcing it could bend the shift fork.

Try to locate a four speed so you can at least be on the road while looking for a five.

There had been an occasional dull metal clang when I'd shift. But the issue showed up the day after I took it to jiffy lube, and the changed the fluid. From what I've heard, sometimes all the old gunk and whatnot in there's all that's allowing it to still work. I did see that a guy had a 4-speed up in Vancouver, I could just do that.

Thanks!

If you have a '79 then you have a 210 not a B-210 so very likely the '80 will fit.

What shift pattern is your old 5 speed?

This....

2..4..rev

If so the 80 should be a perfect match.

OK there were two similar transmissions used in the 210 that were 5 speeds. One is a dogleg and the other a regular pattern. An earlier '76-'78 B-210 5 speed will also fit so it might be one of those.

The first two 210 five speeds are very likely to swap will little problems. The B210 dogleg may have a different mount. Maybe ggzilla will comment on this if he's around.

Can you provide a picture of the old transmission that is broken.??

The only difference between the two transmissions (5-speed ones) is the dogleg sits about 1/2" lower on the trans mount than the regular one- a difference that should be of NO consequence for a swap. The trans mount for the dog-leg is identical to the 4-speed one, the regular 5-speedis 1/2" taller. This is all for -60 transmissions only, not for -63 ones!

BillM